Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Pedal Demos  (Read 5957 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Pedal Demos
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
I'd like to say first that I have my own opinion of this scenario, but I'd like to hear from "the masses". How can one get an "accurate" assessment or a/b comparison of two pedals that may be the same model, but different versions OR handpainted vs. silkscreened OR original vs. reissue OR different color versions OR la-ti-da, etc. etc. IF, they are hooked one in front of the other (parallel)? Won't the fact that the juice has to go through pedal "a" to get to pedal "b" make a difference off the break? That alone as subtile as it may be, will make a difference by itself. Then these folks actually say "well, the one on the right got balls or the one on the left is muddy......". I'm admittedly one of those types who say "they both sound the same to me", and they do! I'm just being honest. Then I'm shunned upon  >:(  . Oh me, oh my :'( !  To me, there's got to be a difference big enough to tell without being a/b-ed, otherwise it ain't worth the trouble. A "slap you in da' face"  difference if you will. Folks in some these other forums will blacklist ya if you ain't a yes man, stroke that ego and do the "suck up" shuffle. I know this! ::)

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pedal Demos
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »
My reply is try them in person... pedal demos will always be very hard to judge by, at least when it comes to the fine nuances that matter to the player.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »
My reply is try them in person... pedal demos will always be very hard to judge by, at least when it comes to the fine nuances that matter to the player.

Trying in person is always the best without a doubt! But accessibility.......or lack of it plays a role sometimes. So, trying in person isn't always an option for many. But all that wasn't the point, so much as differences in two particular units. I mean, for example, if you HAD a store in your neck of the woods that stocked BOTH Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive pedals (PCB AND Hand Wired Boutique versions) that you could demo on the spot....then hey, alright!!! What are the odds for most?? I know I don't have that luxury. That's why I got a Lovepedal Amp 11 I'm tryin' to sell. I took a chance. But you see, this isn't where I was going with this thread. It's about what you hear from these unit comparisons and/or units like them. Like that example I just gave, both versions are indeed the same. But the differences are soooooo minuscule so whats the big deal? I think some folks hear what they want sometimes. Just my .02!

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »
I can not hear much of any difference. No one cane. If they say the do, it's in their head. But sometimes there is a perceived difference, due to gear lust and GAS and paranoia and who knows what else. Cork sniffer and brag traits of a person perhaps?

The point is, ignore the hype and go for the more robust pedals like a tubescreamer, RAT, Fuzz Face that have well known tones.

By the way, I have a pedal that is very similar to Amp 11 that I really like. I am surprised you are not digging yours!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
The Amp 11 is a fine pedal. It's just that I find that where overdrive/distortion pedals are concerned, there are two "major" catagories. Transparent and ones that alter your EQ or have a personality all their own. I feel that the transparent ones are designed to compliment your amps tone. Am I right? And I think those types are great if you play out (gig) in an environment where you can truly appreciate it. Not for the bedroom player. Now the other types that alter your tone are better suited for the bedroom/low volume player like me. I'd have to wait 'til nobody's home to appreciate the Amp 11 pedal. Besides, for that $199.97 price, I'm gonna wanna crank 'til the sun comes up! Y'know the sayin',  "Git my moneys worth!!!"  ;D I still got my Blues Driver, Dyna Drive and AC booster, so I'm cool 8) !

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »
Re setting the test properly:

What you described as flawed is serial connection. You actually want fully parallel and separate setup.

You need a mixer with at least 3 inputs and 3 outputs, and up to 6 impedance matching (DI) boxes.

You go Guitar - DI - Mixer channel - route to 2 separate outputs - each to DI - each to pedal - each pedal to DI - to 2 mixer channels -
- both routed to same output - DIbox - Guitar Amp. That's if you want to check them on amp guitar input.

If amp has a line in, you do not need this last DI box.
If Pedals have line out, you can loose previous two, too.
If Pedals have line in (are there any?), you can eliminate another 2 DI's.
If Mixer has dedicated guitar input, you can eliminate that last (first) one aswell.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
Yes!!! And to quote you " You actually want fully parallel and separate setup". Now that IS the way to go, but most do not do that and that, my friend was basically my point to start with.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
hmmm...interesting i should see this today.

pedals..man does not live by pedals alone.  most of the online 'comparisons' are caca...usually because more than one variable is introduced (thass right...go back and talk to your high school algebra teacher!). for that matter, this 'pedal acts like a tube amp' bidness...well, it depends on the settings, the player, the guitar, the amp.....as to how a pedal sounds. introduce just a little change, and many pedals sound different...way different.  this is why i been selling a bunch of stuff on ebay...and will sell some more.  but...then...everybody's ears are different, too.  remember the old school game of 'telephone'? some people don't know how to listen, or hear something different than what was said if you listen to a recording of the original statement.  amazing.  there are guys who CLAIM they can hear differences in a pick material, cables....yeah, yeah, yeah as the beatles said.

however, skating around mindlessly, i came across this:

http://texasbluesalley.com/oldtonezone/tone-tuesday

according to Will Chen's blog (frugalguitar.com, Dec. 9, 2008) (i think Will wrote that...reads like his writing) this fella compares pedals using the same amp and 'The Comparinator' (some device that is an a/b switcher, maybe?).

site was still active as of a minute ago, as i was tooling around listening. take it for what it cost ya...nothing.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:26:50 PM »
I found the Digitech Bad Monkey is awesome and highly underrated. No matter what pedal you buy, you'll always sound like you. My pedal quest is over, gone through way too much only to find the cheap stuff can sound really good.  Always try before you buy.  Online videos are recorded by pros using pro gear, and most importantly Pro editing software.