Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Ibanez Art Series  (Read 12248 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ibanez Art Series
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »
I vendor I met yesterday mentioned he was given an Ibanez Artist model.  He was considering getting rid of it, but I really knew nothing of the guitars.  I know I love my Ibanez Acoustic and I know Ibanez is known for great shredding guitar.  But the Artist series are more like Gibson Les Pauls.  Does anyone own one, tried one, or compared to something similiar?  They don't appear to be expensive, but are they worth it?  Anyone know if the parts (pickups and hardware) interchangable with Gibson?

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Ibanez Art Series
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:38:17 AM »
Pickups... that's about it. Hardware, well I wouldn't count on it.

Dan

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »
I've fooled with one a bit. Some people seem to think they are cheaply made but I believe those same people think all Ibanez are cheap and no their "insert favorite brand here". I do know that once someone starts playing one they seem to love them and there's about 6 million youtube videos of "ART" guitars of various flavors.

I would be interested in the model which is similar to a 335 and as I think most of you know, I love Ibanez guitars.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:39:52 AM »
I'm not sure they make one like a 335.  Most I believe are more like the ES-175.  Full hollow bodies.

Dan

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
I guess you're right, I was thinking of the "Artcore" series which has a few models the AS73 being the one I'd be interested in.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »
Aw, c'mon man, treat yourself to a AS103 instead. ::)

Viper

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
I own an 1981 Ibanez Artist with the tri sound pickups. It's a heavy guitar but you can't beat the sound. I also own a Gibson Les Paul custom and a Fender Strat Custom. The guitar is well made and plays like a dream when properly set up. As far as swapping the hardware with Gibson, I haven't tried it so I don't know if it would work or not. My 81 is the same as the Ar Prestige model now offered it is known as an AR300CS. Ibanez is also making a reissue of the 1981 Artist with Gibson going off in some weird direction with there new crap. I'll stick with the Ibby.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
My next guitar purchase will be my first (and possibly last) high end guitar.  I'm looking for a Heritage H-157 in Ebony.  For those unfamiliar with Heritage guitars, its their verision of a Gibson Les Paul Custom.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »
Those are nice, well built guitars. You might as well say they're affordable Gibsons since they've got the old Kalamazoo joint and some former Gibson employees crankin'  them out, so they do have the Gibson touch.

Dan

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
Where would buy one, I can't seem to find any prices online for them?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
You cannot buy them in stores, no one carries them in stock.  You go through a dealer and order one.  Otherwise, you can go to their forum and become a member.  Members sell to each other much cheaper than you'll find anywhere including Craigslist, Ebay, Guitar Center's used gear.  That's how I plan on getting one.  Imagine getting a Les Paul Custom for less than $1500

GreyBee

• If you stick with it, you’re gonna be rewarded -JH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 01:22:55 PM »
Where would buy one, I can't seem to find any prices online for them?

There are several stores listed in the Heritage Web Site.  Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter, Florida is one.  Here is a link:  http://www.wolfeguitars.com/
Prices are not widely advertised, but you can contact Wolfe Guitars or lurk on the Heritage Forum and get a feel for it.

:)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
They are a dealer, but I think the Florida one is one of the few that may have some in stock...

kurtdaniel

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
can't say I've been too impressed with the art guitars, the pickups are a bit awful even for an entry level guitar, but they are solid guitars for use in guitar tutorial.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:26:59 AM by kurtdaniel »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:22:12 AM »
I saw really old LP copy this in a local 2nd hand shop and considered picking up as my beater guitar for slide, they wanted $40 for it.  Probably need a host of stuff to get it to work, but looked rather cool...