Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Test it out?  (Read 4687 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Test it out?
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
Ever in your internet travels browse Craigslist, Reverb, Ebay etc. and see an ad where someone's selling an item....let's say a pedal for instance. I have a quote from an actual CL ad and it goes like this........

"Brand new, just opened the box to test.

MXR prime distortion stomp box.
 This guitar effect pedal is brand new
 Please see the pics and let me know if you have any questions."

Now, over time that can become a rather expensive habit. I think most of th' time you can get away from actually purchasing a piece of gear just to try it out considering how difficult selling can be at times. The "try before you buy" concept proves a little effort goes a long way AND the best part......... you're not stuck with something you
don't want. ;)

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Test it out?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:47:59 AM »
Most stores let you return it within a few days, so you can test all you like and only lose out on shipping. Maybe a good idea? Well not for cheap pedals maybe, but a good idea for something expensive like a fancy amp, etc.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »
Most stores let you return it within a few days, so you can test all you like and only lose out on shipping. Maybe a good idea? Well not for cheap pedals maybe, but a good idea for something expensive like a fancy amp, etc.

As far as stores go, you really don't have to leave the store with it if you're unsure,  but if you change your mind and are relatively close by you can always take it back. Worse case scenario on that note could be if that store is miles (and miles) away from ya. Bottom line, ♪ take your time ♪.

Berrilin

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:38:03 PM »
a topic that is very useful.

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 08:18:37 AM »
Usually that's just advertiser's marketing crap for something he got trading in, or purchased stolen, or ...

johannes.maas

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 01:35:50 PM »
You can always return things you buy from sellers on the internet. E.g. Thomann (thomann.de) has a 30 day money back service.

I tend to buy locally. There is a super small guitar store a few miles from my house in the middle of nowhere. The guy provides a superb service (that might the the reason why he is still able to run the shop). I can take stuff home and test it out and take my time. For example if I need a new overdrive pedal, he just gives me 3-4 pedals, I take em home, relax, testdrive them and return them to his shop.

I also once returned a guitar (was a used one) after a few weeks (noticed it was not fitting my needs after quite some time) -  I bought another Guitar and he took off the same amount I paid for the returned guitar.

But buying / selling stuff is a hobby for some people (tonehunting?) - including me.

Just bought a used ENGL Screamer 50 W combo - althoug I have 2 good tube amps + a Kemper at my house. But hey - its a great amp  ::)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »
Almost ever store I buy from has a 30 day return policy.  Most of the time, I think people get them in on a trade or a discounted rate then try to make a profit on them...