Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: how much do people in this business make  (Read 11897 times)

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
how much do people in this business make
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: how much do people in this business make
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »
Well, I just got nine blank pages PDF style, so I guess it didn't work HJ. I do however,  know some guys that when to Berklee. Maybe if you can tell me what business you're refering to, I might be able to help.

hillbilly joe old

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »
Well, I just got nine blank pages PDF style, so I guess it didn't work HJ. I do however,  know some guys that when to Berklee. Maybe if you can tell me what business you're refering to, I might be able to help.

I tried the link and it works but takes about 2 minutes to upload

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:39:01 PM »
It loaded fine, it's just that the pages were blank. Hmmm! ???

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »
I was able to look at it.  I'd be happy if we'd got paid $150+ per person for a gig.  Last gig, the bar was full and for playing four hours, we were paid $70 a person.  Honestly, most are in it for the music, not the money.  As long as I have enough to cover my gas getting back and forth, its worth it.  When I was a soundman at a church, we'd pay bands $500 for two sets.  Now that's not bad at all!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »
Tried it again today and bingo! It worked. My gigging days were never what one would call profitable. (My best was maybe $100 a man.) Like you said DBlues, I'd love to at least have my gas covered. Be nice for some of my gear pay for itself too. At least partial payment. I made most of my dough doing studio work. I got this thing going where I say I do studio work instead of session work 'cause session guys read music and are in the union. Me don't read a lick. It was a close friend of mine that got me in that world.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:09:52 AM »
I'll never have the time to become a studio/session player.  Besides not having the chops, I'm a well paid engineer.  I'm in it for the music, nothing else.  I can say the file from Berklee is just like many colleges.  They put big numbers, not realistic numbers on their data sheets to help steer students to longer and more expensive programs.  Its a real shame, but that's why we have so many forums out there. 

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »
I'll never have the time to become a studio/session player.  Besides not having the chops, I'm a well paid engineer.  I'm in it for the music, nothing else.  I can say the file from Berklee is just like many colleges.  They put big numbers, not realistic numbers on their data sheets to help steer students to longer and more expensive programs.  Its a real shame, but that's why we have so many forums out there.

I can relate (being in it for the music). Also, I never thought of it that way, I mean the point you made about students. It makes a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:42:32 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 04:15:42 PM »
There is a local college chain here that boasts about a 94% hire rate after graduating.  That doesn't mean the work is part time, out of state, unrelated to the focus of study, or the person already had a job.... Numbers can be deceiving unless you know other parts of the 3 dimensional photo...

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »
I get paid anywhere from $50 to $200 for a gig. I avoid the $50 ones if I can... unless I'm dying to play with some good friends. I don't gig very often, so the money isn't really relevant anyway.

I'm thinking about putting together an album of my own music and see if I can sell a few copies... anyone interested?  ;D

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 10:32:54 PM »
absolutely!

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 03:08:23 PM »
Me too!!

hillbilly joe old

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
I get paid anywhere from $50 to $200 for a gig. I avoid the $50 ones if I can... unless I'm dying to play with some good friends. I don't gig very often, so the money isn't really relevant anyway.

I'm thinking about putting together an album of my own music and see if I can sell a few copies... anyone interested?  ;D

I'm game