Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: instrumental  (Read 5594 times)

reb

• View Profile
instrumental
« on: February 19, 2015, 12:34:12 PM »
very mental...i am enjoying messing with the recording computer now, since i got away from anything but audacity and ubuntu.  when the hardware and softwre works, it's fun to work on a song or just do something that sounds good to me.  this is the .wav file. i think it is a little crisper than an mp3:

https://app.box.com/s/j9utg88tzn86rufv894tpr2cehqypkmd

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
Re: instrumental
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
It's obvious you enjoyed the process and listen was joyfull, too.

I'd have the tempo mechanically steady, but that's me and this is you. How did you make the drum track?

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 08:04:33 PM »
Nice!

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
thanks, guys!

Vladan, i have (but have not used hardly at all-had so many computer issues) an alesis performance pad.  when i first got it, i realized 'i am not any good at being a drummer'. i pulled it out coz i was kinda tired of my drum machine and playing with my index fingers. somehow, the drum machine doesn't sound like 'drums', and the timing is not easy with fingers, either. i beat on this alesis with some sticks...the sounds it makes sound a lot more like drums to me...although, yep, the timing varies...like a fairly poor drummer (me) would do. i got about 1 minute of drumming before i noticed that the tempo was sliding all over the place, so i cut the 'loop' at that point and copied it, then stuck in the 'accents', which the alesis has some in it on different pads. for whatever reason, it sounds to me like that programming has some reverb already in it. maybe it was 'placed in' or 'sampled that way' by the maker. otherwise, the drumming is 'direct to track', no effects.

i have been reading 'Tape Op'; the ideas some of those guys have are useful and i'm kind of experimenting with some of them.

again, thanks guys. i keep moving forward, learn a little something with every session. someday, i may know enough to measure it :)

ps, got a new baby here:

https://app.box.com/s/eiuskl6gd6i7bllgfk260qrczakvvw8p

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:52:00 AM by reb »

Vladan

• High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 02:56:42 PM »
No worry, in no time, couple of recordings, your drumming will come to place. Long time ago I did index finger drumming on Alesis HR16, but was not good at all, so
I exploited quantization to it's max. With time I got better, but still, quantization is our friend.
Later I tried the same on drums mapped to keyboard, but was even worse.
Luckilly, at about the time computers came into play, so I turned to drawing drums on a grid. No varying tempo there.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
Vladan, when you say 'drawing drums on a grid', you mean 'midi' or some kind of 'on screen' drum programmer?

audacity has this 'synch tracks' but i don't know if it does quantization.  i am learning 'the program' as well as all the instruments.  for whatever reason, all that stuff that 'drums' with fingers doesn't seem to work well for anyone i have read or 'computered' with....something about 'sticks' that seems to be needed or alternatively programming.

Vladan

• High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 04:23:30 PM »
Yes, I'm talking about visual interface for MIDI compatible devices, where you have notes listed on Y axes, while X axes reperesents time.
You can draw on it (enter events by mouse, or alike), or step enter (while the music is stopped, place the coursor at the place and play apropriate notes), or you can play live at fulll resolution and edit/ quantize afterwards.  Also, you can play live with real time quantization of suitable strength, which was  my prefered way before I got lazy and started drawing by mouse.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:02:43 AM »
thanks, Vladan.  that is so complicated 'far from my experience', but i can kinda 'see' what it looks like in my mind...now, how it works? heck, i got no idea. i have only recently decided i maybe understand one tenth of midi.  that's gotta be a big break from dealing with the drummer who falls off the stage :)

hillbilly US joe

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:13:07 PM »
thanks, guys!

Vladan, i have (but have not used hardly at all-had so many computer issues) an alesis performance pad.  when i first got it, i realized 'i am not any good at being a drummer'. i pulled it out coz i was kinda tired of my drum machine and playing with my index fingers. somehow, the drum machine doesn't sound like 'drums', and the timing is not easy with fingers, either. i beat on this alesis with some sticks...the sounds it makes sound a lot more like drums to me...although, yep, the timing varies...like a fairly poor drummer (me) would do. i got about 1 minute of drumming before i noticed that the tempo was sliding all over the place, so i cut the 'loop' at that point and copied it, then stuck in the 'accents', which the alesis has some in it on different pads. for whatever reason, it sounds to me like that programming has some reverb already in it. maybe it was 'placed in' or 'sampled that way' by the maker. otherwise, the drumming is 'direct to track', no effects.

i have been reading 'Tape Op'; the ideas some of those guys have are useful and i'm kind of experimenting with some of them.

again, thanks guys. i keep moving forward, learn a little something with every session. someday, i may know enough to measure it :)

ps, got a new baby here:

https://app.box.com/s/eiuskl6gd6i7bllgfk260qrczakvvw8p

I'm not much of a beef eater, but I can surely see some nice Texan spare ribs there.

hillbilly US joe

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 07:13:54 PM »
very mental...i am enjoying messing with the recording computer now, since i got away from anything but audacity and ubuntu.  when the hardware and softwre works, it's fun to work on a song or just do something that sounds good to me.  this is the .wav file. i think it is a little crisper than an mp3:

https://app.box.com/s/j9utg88tzn86rufv894tpr2cehqypkmd

your file has been removed

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 11:00:28 AM »
oh, for gosh sake!  they used to do that on soundclick, too.  not even close to my free limit on box.

the digital age giveth...and the digital age taketh away....

thanks, joe.