Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: The D*A*M Pro-808 pedal?  (Read 6739 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
The D*A*M Pro-808 pedal?
« on: May 28, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »
I saw th' price and said th' appropriate word.........damn!!!!!

https://reverb.com/item/480952-d-a-m-pro-808-green

No way in H*E*L*L!!! When will th' madness end? Must have 22 carat legs on th' resistors to go through the 22 carat traces on th' circuit board too!

BTW- "D*A*M" stands for Differential Audio Manifestations. 100% handmade pedals from South Yorkshire UK.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:26:10 PM by zagatron1 »

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The D*A*M Pro-808 pedal?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:26:56 AM »
What's the reasoning behind the high pricing on these babies?

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »
What's the reasoning behind the high pricing on these babies?

I wish I knew. Doesn't make sense to me at all. Seems folks do things "just because....." these days.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »
the reasoning is 'what the market will bear'. some genius decides 'we can sell x of these for y$.  everything x+ is pure profit.'.

since they have the parts, they had to order or make boxes, they got all kinds of switches and plugs, they paint the box a little different wire the 'new thing up' and sell it with maybe one different resistor or cap or 'something magical' and see what happens. heck, most of these companies already got a distribution network, so it costs them next to nothing to run a flyer out, see if it'll sell for 'more than the standard one'.

the insanity with the klon centuar and some of the 'relic'd' fenders, plus gibson reissues makes some of these guys get dollar signs in their eyes. i see the same thing going on with 'show sheep'-registered, big $, never get enough lambs out of 'em to pay for 'em, most likely, but the young bitches get to go to shows with their friends.  mmm-hmmm...we really in ag now, boys!

in the case of the high priced boxes 'we really in da musick bidness now, boys'

lunacy....

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 04:21:30 PM »
Well the Klon has a lot reputation. The DAM pedals don't seem to be that famous. Or am I not with the in-crowd?

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 11:15:42 PM »
Well the Klon has a lot reputation. The DAM pedals don't seem to be that famous. Or am I not with the in-crowd?

Reputations (or lack there of ) never stopped some of these outfits from chargin' these "nose bleed high" prices. May be the "Germanium Transistors" or something like that, not to mention th' military spec goodies that are hand picked (with surgical gloves of course) by knowledgeable jewelers that individually inspect every component for sanitary cleanliness.

The Klon sounds good, but these prices and th' plain overall "overrated" gear out here is nothing short of ridiculous. As long as folks actually pay of this stuff, asking prices will continue to soar.

Some of these tube "purists" out here are pure hippocrates too. Can't say enough about tube amps, then run out an buy a Kemper Profiling Amplifier or a Fractal Axe-FX II. Go figure.

Wouldn't surprise me if somebody re-houses a Joyo pedal in a silkscreened box, thinks up a catchy name to paint on it and try to market th' thing for some outlandish price.

Just what th' industry needs.........another 808 based pedal. No wonder they all sound th' same haha! ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:18:16 PM by zagatron1 »

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 06:34:40 AM »
It's just plain odd to brag about germanium transistors, infamous for instability bad disstortion specs, ..., responsible for solid state having a bad name in the early days ... Honestly, I thought nobody used that crap for decades, now it seems it's all the hype. People are just plain stupid, that's all. Some other people are immoral enough to take advantage of above mentioned stupidity.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
premier guitar had a review of the 'archer' pedal. says it sounds 'just like a Klon'. i don't know what a Klon sounds like;i can barely run a boss ds-1 without freaking out.

i just read a book tht talks about 'money'. now, if you look at the stock market, people/institutions are going nuts buying stocks. prices are way up...why? coz money is relatively 'cheap' after all the 'tarps'.

and right now, cattle prices are way up....why? because we had a lot of rain, and people got a lot of grass...and money is CHEAP. until there aint any.

so, if a guy has a credit card, and don't give a s about whether he pays it off or not, money is cheap...and he buys expensive pedals which are essentially overpriced...

most of us who have lived from the middle point of the 20th century onward, we don't know or remember when money was so hard to come by. since it is digital, it don't mean nuthin' at all. but governments and companies (who sell everything from pedals to toilets) are still 'trusting' of money's value.

and, the 'in crowd' robert??? who in the heck is the in crowd?  everyone i know is way far out crowd.  makin' a little fun, but really...if a guy buys a certain pedal, does that mean he's got 'acceptance'? that's pretty dang sad....i'm not THAT desperate to be 'in the in crowd'. maybe that's why i'm in the out crowd. ;)

Vladan

• http://vladanmovies.blogspot.com
  • High on own Supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 10:51:12 AM »
Price of money, that's exactly what is killing us all. Money as substitute in trade for natural goods and products, yes, OK and usefull, but money to have it's own price, sorry, but that's cannibalism and road to hell.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »
Buying gear is a kind of fashion statement for some people... or maybe it's just a hobby for those who can afford it. I see many who buy guitars and amps almost every month (selling one to make room for another one, etc), looking for the green grass maybe. I dunno.