Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Have you ever thought about quite playing the guitar  (Read 18624 times)

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
Have you ever thought about quite playing the guitar
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
As a child I always connected with a guitar for some reason and yet to this day that connection is still with me and I'm happy

diaper head

• View Profile
Re: Have you ever thought about quite playing the guitar
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
do you mean have we ever thought about quitting?

if that's what you mean, i actually did quit a few times. there were times when i was so poor i couldn't afford an instrument.  and another time i quit for over 15 yrs when i ran my hand through a machine, and was unable to play. 

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
That's like when I quit for ten years after a motorcycle accident and screwed up some tendons in my fingering hand. It seemed like things where going down for me anyway (wasn't gigging), so I didn't care at the time. I mean, it didn't matter. I'm glad I picked it back up though. It must make me happy to have done so.

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
  • Being stupid is its own reward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:45:06 PM »
i didnt touch a guitar for about 5 years or so

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
I first picked up the guitar when I was 14.  Learned a few chords from a Mel Bay book, but didnít know any songs.  My step dad showed me shuffle pattern and the minor pentatonic scale, but never how to use any of it.  Never learned theory or the I, IV, V.  Since I didn't have the ear for music and didn't have a lot of experience with gear, I rarely played, sometimes going years without playing.  Fast forward to about three years ago, I discovered YouTube.  Now I really started playing real songs, beginning to end.  Started off with AC/DC, Green Day, 3 Doors Down, then on to Skynard and Zeppelin.  Then I discovered SRV and Buddy Guy, thatís when I realized I really do love playing the blues.  So since then Iíve been learning how to use scales, positions, 7th & 9th chords, keys, fills, lead riffs...etc.  Now I'm in a band.  I have a long way to go to becoming a lead guitarist, but I can handle a strong rhythm guitar.   Sometimes you see those kids in bands today playing all the songs I love to learn, but I have to realize I haven't the time like they do to play 6 hours a day, seven days a week. I am not able to be constantly plugged into YouTube and free online guitar tabs.  So if it takes me a few years more to become decent enough of a musician, so be it.  While I earn a living, I won't be like them and live of their parents because they discovered too late that not everyone becomes a millionaire rock star.  Ya, I gave up, but I realized, I love the music, even more so when Iím the one making it.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »
I quit for about 25 years. I did play bass instead of six string back then but still went a long time without playing any type of musical instrument.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »
I think about quitting every time I go into Sam Ash or Guitar Center and there sits some 12 year old kid absolutely tearing it up!!  ::)

Scratch N Sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 07:22:24 AM »
I think about quitting every time I go into Sam Ash or Guitar Center and there sits some 12 year old kid absolutely tearing it up!!  ::)
+1 on that, but it's great to see them playing and enjoying it. Keeps the music alive and going forward.

The only time I didn't play was for a period of about two years, I was shopfitting around the country, in fact I didn't even have a home I was living in boarding houses and pubs. The latter of those 2 was fun ! I had my gear stored at a friends. Took a while to get back into it.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 05:05:55 PM »
I quit (in disgust and frustration) for 17 years than came back to it.  Glad I came back!

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:20:52 PM »

That is a little discouraging, but I bet that same kid has no idea how to improvise.  You're much better off learning outside the scales, patterns, and copycat licks.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 12:45:46 AM »
"Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:59 AM »
Now Creekster that quote from Miles Davis sounds right on!

Yeah I am always embarrassed when I see a kid wailing on a guitar. In fact that was why I guit 20 years ago...I saw a 12 year old tearing it up on a stage...and I quite after that...thought I was wasting my time.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
I almost quit about a month or so ago.  I was in a band, but parted ways.  After giving 110% into playing and being held back only to be told I wasn't doing enough was very discouraging... I felt like selling all my gear and finding a new hobby.  Lastest about two weeks, but I've since found my passion again.

BogHead

• 70s rock forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 05:45:25 PM »
Many times. :)

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »
A friend sent me this on FB. I thought it was appropriate for this topic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqbEruJf8c4&feature=player_embedded