Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Thrill is Gone  (Read 13583 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thrill is Gone
« on: February 03, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »
After 3 months of learning approx. 50 songs for a band I joined, we decided to part ways.  I wasted so much time on playing all those songs, I've lost the thrill for playing the guitar.  I've becomed burned out pushing myself to learn all their music only to have thing go sour in one rehersal last week.  I haven't felt like playing guitar much at all.  Part of me wants to find another band while another part of me wants to hang up axe for awhile.  I put too much effort in a band that nothing was good enough.  First asked to do less, then asked to do more, asked to turn it up, then complaints about too loud.  Too much static and turmoil for a band.  Wears a person out and the thrill is gone.  Ever happen to you?

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Thrill is Gone
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »
Ouch. I have been in a band for 12 months, learned 40 songs and we haven't even had a gig yet! Coming up in April though.

I know what you mean, but just take it easy man. Play some stuff at home that you like, or take a break. The thrill will come back, don't you worry.

Maybe a good time to learn some thing new on the guitar? Take lessons, learn some jazz, etc? A change of scenery, musically speaking, may do wonders too.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 05:36:05 PM »
I can relate. I've had three offers to join a band in the last 18 months including last night. I play for fun now, so I declined. That is unless I get a call from the folks I do studio gigs for. I figure my best years (for being in bands) are behind me. I don't miss it. When I do play, I do my own material. Hang in there DB!

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:10:46 AM »
Maybe play some open jams for a while. Obviously you are pretty good, if you can learn 50 songs in 3 months. Sometimes you just have to LET things happen, instead of trying to MAKE it happen. Take time to find players you can be comfortable around, and let you breathe.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »
Most of the songs were standard blues songs.  Loads of I, IV, V.  Figure out the key and listen for the changes.  Wasn't too hard being a rhythm guitarist.  In the end, they wanted keys, not another guitar.  Some of those songs, I'll keep on playing, some I don't think I want to play again....

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »
kinda he way it goes.  best of luck finding another band.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 09:18:09 AM »
I'm going to hold off seeking a band for another year.  I want to make sure when I play in a band again, they'll beg me to stay and play lead.  Lofty goal, but I don't want to be an easily replaced item.

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »
I'm going to hold off seeking a band for another year.  I want to make sure when I play in a band again, they'll beg me to stay and play lead.  Lofty goal, but I don't want to be an easily replaced item.

DB  I guess you got a good paying day job.  It is a bummer to learn all them songs and not be able to play them in the band you hoped to be performing with them.   Good luck in finding another band, but if I were you with your talent  I would think about  START MY OWN BAND
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:50:35 PM by hillbilly joe »

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »
i notice my reply (above) seems kinda curt.  :-[
i didn't intend it.  i mean to say that's the way it is with music and musicians.  anecdotally (not sure on the spelling) i think i see more people moving from one band to another, or seeking to start one, than i ever did compared to bands that live more than 5 years.  you'll probably be in and out of bands over time.   that's what i meant by my earlier post.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
No offense diaper head, I knew what you meant.  As for Hillbilly, yep, I do well.  Everyone I know who's tried to make a living as a guitarist as working at Guitar stores to make ends meet.  There is no way in the world I would ever give up what I had to be a full time musicians.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
In case anyone believes in Karma, the lead guitarist and band leader just left the band.  I guess he was fed up being told by everyone to turn it down.  It was his own band and now he has nothing.  Too bad for them, they had a good thing going if they only learned some balance during practice.

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
The thrill left me for 5 years after music school.  I'm now having more fun than ever playing stuff I like instead of "art".  Don't worry....this could be a really good thing.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
I'm having a good time just playing what I want and following some of the lessons on lines to learn a couple new methods, such as switching back and forth from major and minor scales from a Dm and Gm chord progression.

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
  • Being stupid is its own reward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »
I went through the same thing several years ago-I tried to be in a cover band -3 times in 2 years-
Same thing over and over -mostly guys a little to old to be acting like 20 year old rock stars. :)

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »
i recently began a quest to start a blues/rock band.  those of us who participate know it's just for fun, we'll never play bars or whatever.  my intention was to avoid all the ego tripping and what not.
in fact, today the other guitarist, and the bass player come over for the meet and greet jam in my apt this afternoon.. wish us luck