Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Fret Radius  (Read 5815 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fret Radius
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »
It was time for my strat to have its frets looked at.  I was worried that my frets were worn to the point of needing a fret job.  So I took it to my local luthier and fortunately for me, it just needed a fret dress.  Even though my strat is listed at Med-Jumbo frets, he said those were Jumbo frets.   Another cool thing he mentioned was how I favor a Les Pauls playbility over a Strat.  He said he could radius the frets to be 12" instead of 9.5" because the jumbo frets had a lot of meat on them.  I said no but did ask if he could changed them to 10" to be more like a PRS.  So that's what he is going to do.  I'd be very interested to feel the difference tomorrow (hoping the guitar will be done).  If I notice a difference, I'll let you all know.  Has anyone else thought about or tried this?

pictoratus

• View Profile
Re: Fret Radius
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:17:31 PM »
I haven't tried it but my Peavey is supposed to have a 12" radius and I like the way it plays. On the occasions I pick up my Squier Strat, it just doesn't 'feel' exactly right on bends.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
I would not go for a level & recrown from 9.5 to 12. The frets might be noticably higher in the middle than at the edges to you.

But, from 9.5 to 10, I don't think you would notice the difference in height, even if you have a sensitive touch.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:23:42 PM »
i have a 12" radius on my roxbury.  it works on that guitar because of the size of the neck.  the strat, having a smaller neck, would probably play better with the smaller 9 1/2" raidus.
i'm no expert of course, just my best guess.  i think if it were me, and i wanted to try it, i would source another neck from flea bay or craig's list, and try it with that so i could always go back if i wanted.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:57:01 AM »
Just to clarify...I LIKE both 9.5" radius necks and 12" radius necks. What I was trying to say is that changing the radius of the FRETS (and not the fingerboard) may be a little odd feeling, and actually I got it backwards. To correct...

A 12" radius on a 9.5" radius neck (fingerboard) would make the fret height lower in the middle and higher at the ends of the frets.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
That's exactly my thought and why I opted out of that.  If I wanted a 12" radius fretboard, I should get a Kenny Wayne Shepard neck to replace mine.... Which reminds me, Steviesnacks.com is giving away one of those strats....