Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Pickup Covers  (Read 8625 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pickup Covers
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:53:07 PM »
Has anyone ever heard or tried out a pickup to see if the cover really makes a difference?  I've heard the covers mellow out the pup's, but I can't seem to figure out why.  The metal in non-ferrious and the pole pieces are exposed. 

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Pickup Covers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:19:25 PM »
If they do make a difference, I can't tell.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »
The adjustable poles (screws) are exposed, but the others aren't. I have never done a A/B comparison though.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:54:38 AM »
I really can't think of anyone who has...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »
I don't mean no harm, but I've got to the point of not "over" analyzing things and focus more on my playing. I'll just work with I have available to me. It can work.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Just some more food for thought.... Something for the rest of us to think about the next time we drop in a new set of humbuckers in our favorite guitars...

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:56:51 AM »
this was the topic of conversation on another board a few months ago.  some of the members there had removed the covers on their guitars in the past and had made comments in that thread.
all of them said that the pickups were slightly hotter without the covers.  it can be a bit messy to remove the covers, because besides getting past the 2 solder points, you also have to remove the wax or it's going to look like crap. some pickups you may need to add the cloth covers for the windings.  you can use electrical tape for this i am told.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »
Another thing I see posted occasionally is in regard to removing the trem cover. Some say it improves tone, which I find hard to believe. I always figured players left them off to make it easier/faster for string changes and trem adjustments.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »
I've heard intances about both, but I know I can't tell the differences between removing trem cover OR pickup covers for better.....sound?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »
Another thing I see posted occasionally is in regard to removing the trem cover. Some say it improves tone, which I find hard to believe. I always figured players left them off to make it easier/faster for string changes and trem adjustments.

I should try the trem cover.  Very simple mod as it doesn't require any setup changes to the guitar.  I think those were put on there so people would stop catching their belts on the tremolo springs.  I think I'm going to take my off tonight just because....

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »
I left the trem cover off mine some time ago. Can't say it really changed the tone though.