Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Before Your Time?  (Read 25961 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Before Your Time?
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
I was born in the mid 70's.  But my musical taste ranges from the 50's to today.  I've found so many songs and styles of music I rather enjoy that came out before I was born.  Zep, Hendrix, Cream, Skynard, Waters, three Kings, etc... I've poked around Craigslist for bands seeking blues guitarists.  I've found most of those guys are the same age, if not older, than my dad.  But, I have a fond appreciation for anything guitar.  So am I alone on this or do others find the music they like is not what's popular with their generation?

BogHead

• 70s rock forever
    • View Profile
Re: Before Your Time?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
You have a taste in music that you really like, doesn't matter when you were born. Me, I like the 60s and the 70s as well as some 80s. I was born in 1950. I was growing up with the 50s and I was digging it but 60s rolled around and all that changed. Same with the 70s.

I can say I'm stuck on the 70s and digging it. :)

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »
Like The Who said...Talkin' bout my generation.  8)

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
i was born halfway through the 60's.  i have loved music from as far back as i can remember.
as i get older, my tastes and appreciation has expanded even more than my waistline.
on my ipod right now you'd find glenn miller, howlin wolf, ted nugent, king diamond, twelve girls band, james brown, george benson, les claypool, molly hatchet, pam tillis, parliament, and others. for playing guitar though, it's mostly blues and rock for me.  i have tried to find some guys on craig's list to jam with, but no one wants to just jam for fun.  everyone wants to play out.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »
I'd love to just play for fun.  But you are right.  No one wants to jam, everyone wants to get a gig and make money.  Well, there are only so many gigs to have and many bands to have them.  Everyone wants professional level guitarists.  You can bet the pro's already have bands lined up.   They aren't looking for bands on the CL.  C.L. should be a place for amateurs to find each other.  I believe bands should be formed from amateurs learning how to play together, not be a bunch of hired guns....

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:24:46 PM »
Another one playin' for fun here too! My best days (professionally) are behind me. I love to jam though.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:09:08 PM »
Too bad we don't all live in the same location. I think we could have a great time!

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »
well if any of you ever come to toronto,  we can jam at my place.  i have 2 guitars and 2 amps.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:11:10 AM »
I guess my musical tastes run all over the place. I was born in the 50s and like everything from old Blues, late 50s/early 60s boogie woogie rock n roll (think Jerry Lee Lewis), 60s pop and rock and R&B, 70s ummm (okay I don't remember a lot about the seventies, especially early 70s), kinda skipped the 80s; music took a break and didn't care for disco, 90s grunge and now pretty much going full circle.

I remember when I got started playing bass seriously, you could go to the local mom and pop music store and people posted notices on the bulletin board if they wanted to get together and jam or whatever. No Internet, no CL, none of that.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »

I remember when I got started playing bass seriously, you could go to the local mom and pop music store and people posted notices on the bulletin board if they wanted to get together and jam or whatever. No Internet, no CL, none of that.

funny, you reminded me of a time when i was walkin to a buddies house to jam. he played bass.
so i'm walking along and i hear this guys drums. so i knocked on his door.  "hey, i was walking down the street and heard you playin the drums. i was on my way to jam with a bass player i know.
wanna go?"  we ended up jammin with  that guy a few times, never would happen in today's world.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »
Even with the internet making the world a smaller place and more musicians than ever, it seems harder then before get people together with the same interest in music.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »
Man, you guys are on the money!

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 08:58:30 PM »
Yep, back to the basement and jam along with the blues channel on cable.

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
  • Being stupid is its own reward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 10:37:26 PM »
I am Turning 40 next month and i am into all kinds of music-lately really into Blues music-love The Beatles-The Beach Boys-Elvis--I really like Clapton and BB King.
but i grew up as a kid worshiping KISS and i love all the 80s stuff most people make fun of.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »
I grew up liking MC Hammer, Kid N' Play, Fresh Prince, Run DMZ, Guns n' Roses, Posion, Motely Cru, and Metallica.  My parents listened to ZZ Top, Ted Nugent, and Van Halen... Now, I've become my parents...