Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Before Your Time?  (Read 26773 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Before Your Time?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Hey DB, I listened to the stuff you stated, plus the stuff your parents listened to. I guess I'm tellin' on myself.  ::)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:54:19 PM »
Never listened to SRV until I was an adult.  From there I discovered Albert King, which led me to BB King, Freddie King, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, led me back to the roots of it all.

GreyBee

• If you stick with it, youíre gonna be rewarded -JH
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »
Wow, artists or bands from my formative years are too many to name (or remember).  Some that come to mind are Jimi Hendrix, Sam and Dave, Doors, Animals, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Cream, The Byrds, Mamas & Papas, CS&N, Jefferson Airplane,  . . . . Iíll think of more later.  I never really got into the Beatles.  I have to respect what they did, but they never really rocked my soul.  Wow, that was fun reminiscing.

:)    :D    ;)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 07:49:48 AM »
Most of those bands I discovered once I found deep appreciation for anything music with really good guitar playing...

BogHead

• 70s rock forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
i love all the 80s stuff most people make fun of.

That's probably because of disco and new wave and I'm guessing punk too. I think that was an innovative decade and there was a lot of good songs then. I appreciate a good song when I hear it no matter what genre.

The Woodstock of 69 was a showcase of amazing talents, they're the best. :)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
Some of my favorite 80's bands were the Cars and Foriegner.  Not exactly popular bands today...

BogHead

• 70s rock forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 07:02:58 AM »
Some of my favorite 80's bands were the Cars and Foriegner.  Not exactly popular bands today...

How can you forget songs like Drive and Dirty White Boy? :)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »

How can you forget songs like Drive and Dirty White Boy? :)

Easy... I'm getting old....

BogHead

• 70s rock forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »
You and me both but I still groove on the 70s. :D

I refuse to grow up. Lol.

Scratch N Sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 01:49:57 PM »
Yep, back to the basement and jam along with the blues channel on cable.

You've got a Blues channel on cable ! Man I would have that on 24/7. What do they play ?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »
They play everything and anything blues from Robert Johnson to Buddy Guy's latest album.  Great stuff!

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
I was born in the 50s and like mostly 60s 70s music but have expanded to 80s 90s 2000s.  There is some good music out there. Much popular music today I don't care for so I have to look for what I like, but there is some.  I have 2 younger friends (28 and 33) who play in a band and they like classic rock and reggae 60s and 70s music so you are not that alone. You should be able to find folks who like what you like...but maybe it depends on where you live...I live in/near a Metropolitan city where there is a big music scene. There are young people who like the old music you just have to find them...

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
Actually, all I've found is gentlemen such as yourself.  There are a couple co-workers that I think I can develop with, but other than that, not many with the love of the blues.  I did notice there are a few open jam nights, but I don't have the guts to get there and do it.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:27 PM »
Actually, all I've found is gentlemen such as yourself.  There are a couple co-workers that I think I can develop with, but other than that, not many with the love of the blues.  I did notice there are a few open jam nights, but I don't have the guts to get there and do it.

well, that's a situation i myself am working on right now.  my approach was to post an ad on craig's list for intermediate level musicians to jam just for fun. i specifically pointed out that i had no intention of playing out anywhere, just wanted to make some music.  i met with one guitar player last sat.  this coming sat i am meeting with another guitarist and a bass player.  there are 2 drummers who responded, but  we are looking at renting some jam space, and until then, i just can't do it in my apt.   

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »

Try the open jams. Just go hang out and meet people. After you get to know some of the players, you'll be more comfortable with getting up there. Some can be kind of snobby, so if you don't like the people at that open jam, try different one with more supportive players.

Don't let your past bad experience with those jerks affect what you do in the here & now. Get out and have some fun.