Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: xavier guitars  (Read 11150 times)

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
  • Being stupid is its own reward
    • View Profile
xavier guitars
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »
I think I want to try one of these-they are cheap and seem to have some nice upgrades on them-anyone own one?
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-870-Double-Cutaway-Solid-Body_c_152.html

pictoratus

• View Profile
Re: xavier guitars
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:48:35 AM »
Not me, but one of the guys on AxeTalk has one and he said it is a great deal for the money.

I wouldn't mind having this one though! http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-825-Solid-Ash-KEEF-Model-Mini-Hum-neck-Pickup-Maple-Fingerboard_p_1244.html

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 09:05:30 AM »
Looks like it might be a good guitar.  Hardware may not be up to snuff, but that's not hard to fix if that's the case. 

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »
Ah i knew i posted this somewhere just found it....i made another double post guys sorry..

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »
No worries.  Did you get the guitar?

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
not yet I think im going to get an Epiphone or an Agile in March

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »
I really like Epiphones.  Not the very cheap ones, but you can find a decent used Epiphone Standard for $300 or their Dots for about the same price.

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »
I have a xavier strat.  Its nice  but nothing to write home about.  The tone pot for the neck pup doesnt work.  It had some ugly buzzing around the 8th fret.  I did my own fret level on it  (first time) and now its much better.    The neck is very slim, which feels ok, buit I prefer a little more to hang on to.  Been playing it a lot lately and its pretty nice, but the tone pot thing is irritating.  I tried soldering it but it still doesn't work.....I dunno.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:23:05 PM »
A guy on another forum I frequent got a Xavier Tele and then got a Fender MIM Tele neck off eBay that he intends to put on the Xavier. With a few more mods, he thinks it will be a real player for not a lot of cash.

Waiting to hear how it comes out.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
I have a xavier strat.  Its nice  but nothing to write home about.  The tone pot for the neck pup doesnt work.  It had some ugly buzzing around the 8th fret.  I did my own fret level on it  (first time) and now its much better.    The neck is very slim, which feels ok, buit I prefer a little more to hang on to.  Been playing it a lot lately and its pretty nice, but the tone pot thing is irritating.  I tried soldering it but it still doesn't work.....I dunno.

Control pots are relatively cheap. Why not replace them all? You can get audio taper or linear taper pots. You could also do a few wiring mods while you're at it...like the mod for adding the bridge pickup to a tone control, and maybe the treble bleed mod.

You can check the diagrams out here... http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 08:01:25 AM »
Not to mention, you should get CTS pots as they are the industry standard for quality componets.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »
Alpha pots aren't bad either. I just don't care for those generic dime sized pots that come in some guitars. I don't know who makes that stuff.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:57:34 PM by zagatron1 »