Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: The Volume Box  (Read 5996 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
The Volume Box
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
OK...Here's another "has anybody tried one of these" posts. I've been searching for a low wattage amp for apartment use, and haven't found what I want within my limited budget. This unit is extremely affordable, but I'm wondering if it will tame the output of my Peavey Triumph 60 enough to use in an apartment setting, and still give me the tone I'm wanting. These are only $20 which is significantly less than an attenuator.

Here is the Volume Box...

http://www.carlscustomguitars.com/product.sc?productId=1

...and the amp

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:22:28 PM by creekster52 »

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: The Volume Box
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
That's the first time I ever saw one of those. I'm gearing up for another VCXD myself.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:08:33 PM »
I've seen those before and from what I heard, they greatly affect tone.  Do yourself a favor and just get a Pocket Pod or something similar.  You can jam all night and won't bother anyone.  Plus can plug it into a stereo and turn your stereo into an amp....

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »
I have done some research since the original post. The box is simply a plastic project box with (2) 1/4" jacks and a volume pot. I was skeptical from the beginning since it works in the effects loop, and therefore only controls preamp output to the power section. My amp already has Pre & Post controls.

I did find that some users found it useful with Fender blues Jr. type amps, which apparently have touchy volume controls (poor taper).

I think I will stick to headphones with my Boss GT-5 for now. If only Bugera would come out with a V5 head or V5 combo with 10" or 12" speaker. I just don't care for the lack of bass response of small speakers.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »
I have done some research since the original post. The box is simply a plastic project box with (2) 1/4" jacks and a volume pot. I was skeptical from the beginning since it works in the effects loop, and therefore only controls preamp output to the power section. My amp already has Pre & Post controls.

I did find that some users found it useful with Fender blues Jr. type amps, which apparently have touchy volume controls (poor taper).

I think I will stick to headphones with my Boss GT-5 for now. If only Bugera would come out with a V5 head or V5 combo with 10" or 12" speaker. I just don't care for the lack of bass response of small speakers.

With a little craftyness, you can turn a Bugera V5 into a larger combo.  Another option would be a Epiphone Valve Jr head too.