Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: My fingers hurt (Along the Watchtower)  (Read 7726 times)

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
My fingers hurt (Along the Watchtower)
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:32:10 AM »
I've been practicing Roberts vid and my finger tips actually hurt. It's been ages since I practiced like this. It's them bends and vibratos I think is what doing it. Anyway, I haven't even come close to nailing this one. >:(  I set a goal to learn this one and by gosh I'm going to do it.  :-[

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My fingers hurt (Along the Watchtower)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »
Take your time. Bends are hard on the fingers so practice this for just a little while every day, and after a few days, you'll be able to do it.

Lesson here -
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-125.php

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
What guage strings do you use? My fingers don't hurt but I have very strong callouses. My fingers used to hurt me when I started busking and playing more than 6 hours a day but now they don't hurt any more.  At one time I got tendonitis in my ring finger from trying to do the Chuck Berry thing and I strained that finger, kept playing, then I couldn't move my ring finger and had to stop playing for awhile...then I sang to a CD player on the street.  Be careful not to get a repetitive stress injury. I know one guitar player who plays 12 hrs a day and has serious tendonitis that he can't get rid of and he has to tape his baby finger.

Is it your fingertips hurt.....or are your fingers aching.  Don't push too hard that you get an injury.

hillbilly joe old

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:53:50 AM »
hi Beth
 I'm not one for really doing repetitive practicing but on this video I am determine to nail it, so I spent over an hour just banging on them strings doing the bending and so much so the color of the strings were actually rubbing off on my fingertips. I kind of was drilling myself on this exercise and forcing it upon me. But I guess that is the "desire" in me to get this one. Today I'll go a bit slower. I think I'll record my progress and post it on this one. Should be kind of a fun project.

hillbilly joe old

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
I'd thought I would post an update:
OK, I got the muscle memory going pretty good.  But the timing and getting the beat/feel that Robert has I am lacking totally, hope it comes with more practice.  I've decided to post a clip of my progress on this one as soon as I get close to my amp again. So stay tuned  LOL

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 01:07:10 AM »
When I got that tendonitis I had that attitude...I am gonna learn this or else, I pushed too hard and too long, then couldn't even control my fingers...doctors told me to tape my fingers together for 6 weeks...(I didn't do that but had to greatly reduce anything I did with those fingers) so just saying....practice it a little everyday....don't hurt your fingers like I did!