Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: marshall lead 20  (Read 19706 times)

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
marshall lead 20
« on: May 10, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »
I know none of you live in this neck of the woods, but I have a 1985 Marshall Lead 20 w/V30 12 inch sp. I'm asking $270 for it. Do you guys think that is a fair price.  Most of you have heard the tone from it from my music clips that I've posted here and many have said they like the tone. It's really one of a kind. I took out the stock 10 inch and put in the 12 inch Vintage 30.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: marshall lead 20
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »
Those are great little amps. I used to have one, when I was 15. :)

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:08:21 PM »
That pricing seems to be just right. Great little S/S amp!

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »
Isn't that a tube amp? Mine was.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »
Do you have another amp or are you getting another to replace the Marshall? I've heard alot of decent things about those Lead 20s and even the Lead 12s!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:40:26 AM by zagatron1 »

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »
Isn't that a tube amp? Mine was.

it's a solid state amp

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
Do you have another amp or are you getting another to replace the Marshall? I've heard alot of decent things about those Lead 20s and even the Lead 12s!

I want to sell it to buy a Fender Frontman 212R. I figure I probably won't think of buying another amp and for the money it seems to be the best deal out there with 2 12's speakers.  But the only thing I've heard about them is that the amp is not all that good, just freaking loud

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
Yeah... I heard the same, about them (Frontman 212s) being not "all that".

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:34:36 AM »

I want to sell it to buy a Fender Frontman 212R. I figure I probably won't think of buying another amp and for the money it seems to be the best deal out there with 2 12's speakers.  But the only thing I've heard about them is that the amp is not all that good, just freaking loud

Skip the frontman and go right to the Mustang IV

diaper head

• View Profile

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
Joe, this thought is worth exactly what you paid for it...i ordered a 'frontman' a couple years ago. at low volume, it sounded like a fender amp. anything above 2 (and it had no volume at 1), and it did something to the sound coming out the speaker that sounded harsh to my ears.

i have liked the sound from a couple digitals that are not way up in price...the electro harmonix 22 Caliber and the Roland cube (i did respeaker the cube i have with an Eminence 10"). the electro harmonix is about $100, but you have access to a pretty good speaker already...if you can get a few scrap pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" ply, you would be in business with the little amp (it's the size of a boss pedal, and is 'amp only', but sounds pretty dang good to my ears).

if you took the 10" Celestion out of the Marshall, and stuck the stock one back in, a cabinet is not hard to build. (i doubt anyone would give you $5 more with the Celestion in it-anytime i sell anything nowadays, i take any 'extras' out if i can use them elsewhere). i got to emailing with the Eminence people, and they turned me onto using truck bed liner for the cab covering. it actually looks pretty cool.  the speaker hole is the most difficult thing to get exactly right...at the price of plywood nowadays, i 'measured' about 5 times and cut once. if you think you want to do this, i'll tell you what i know about it...not an expert, but built a half dozen serviceable speaker cabs last year.

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 12:05:20 AM »
Joe, this thought is worth exactly what you paid for it...i ordered a 'frontman' a couple years ago. at low volume, it sounded like a fender amp. anything above 2 (and it had no volume at 1), and it did something to the sound coming out the speaker that sounded harsh to my ears.

i have liked the sound from a couple digitals that are not way up in price...the electro harmonix 22 Caliber and the Roland cube (i did respeaker the cube i have with an Eminence 10"). the electro harmonix is about $100, but you have access to a pretty good speaker already...if you can get a few scrap pieces of 1/2" or 3/4" ply, you would be in business with the little amp (it's the size of a boss pedal, and is 'amp only', but sounds pretty dang good to my ears).

if you took the 10" Celestion out of the Marshall, and stuck the stock one back in, a cabinet is not hard to build. (i doubt anyone would give you $5 more with the Celestion in it-anytime i sell anything nowadays, i take any 'extras' out if i can use them elsewhere). i got to emailing with the Eminence people, and they turned me onto using truck bed liner for the cab covering. it actually looks pretty cool.  the speaker hole is the most difficult thing to get exactly right...at the price of plywood nowadays, i 'measured' about 5 times and cut once. if you think you want to do this, i'll tell you what i know about it...not an expert, but built a half dozen serviceable speaker cabs last year.

I've heard that they aren't really a "top" amp, but here in japan I can buy the Marshall 30 watt or the Frontman for the same price. That is why I'm kind of stuck on the frontman.  Also I took out the stock 10 inch and put a 12 inch celestion vintage in my marshall. It really has it own tone. But the bass, treble and midrange no longer work on my amp

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 01:24:10 AM »
I'd kick it with the Marshall, but that's just my thought. Frontman amps are great at low volume but when you turn them up the tone stack seems to be unresponsive...or should I say uneffective. Now that's just my....well you know opinion, I guess that's what I'm tryin' to say. But all it all depends on what you're tryin' to accomplish in terms up tone. I've learned alot since I started playin' again.