Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: medical news about alcohol and other drugs  (Read 9448 times)

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
medical news about alcohol and other drugs
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:23:05 PM »
This is good reading.  I've  seen the effects of the damage of alcohol has in an environment  where a drunk/alcoholic is present in a family life. Although I wouldn't want people to take up pot smoking, I've also seen the destruction pot can do to a family life if it too gets out of control. But between the both, pot is illegal so the destruction that I seen was more on the legal side and not on the smoking side.  Why one is approved for legal consumption and the other isn't really puzzles me. Either they both should be illegal or .....

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20101101/alcohol-more-harmful-than-crack-or-heroin

diaper head

• View Profile
Re: medical news about alcohol and other drugs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »
i'm 46. my best bud, has been like a brother since we were 16.  he and i and another guy were the 3 amigos.   we stopped talking to the one guy when his alchoholism became more than we could bear. then the other guy began to walk the same path.  this past summer, he shot himself in the head. alchohol depression strikes again.  i hate alchohol.
but i never saw anything wrong with moderation.

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:51:53 PM »
i'm 46. my best bud, has been like a brother since we were 16.  he and i and another guy were the 3 amigos.   we stopped talking to the one guy when his alchoholism became more than we could bear. then the other guy began to walk the same path.  this past summer, he shot himself in the head. alchohol depression strikes again.  i hate alchohol.
but i never saw anything wrong with moderation.

yes, alcohol is a destroying drug for many that can't control it.
sorry to hear about your friend
living on an island can lead to alcohol problems very quickly, but it so expensive here to buy, drinking in moderation is an economic must for me  :) actually maybe 2 beers a week is what I can afford

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »
I read about that just this morning I think.

It is a bit odd which substances are deemed illegal and which are legal. Seems you always hear about some drunk driver killing innocents but I can't say I recall hearing about someone intoxicated on some other substance killing someone while driving. Although I would imagine alcohol use is a lot more widespread with it being legal.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:39:50 AM »
In this day and age everything is bad for you. Whatever comes out, there's going to be an issue (side effect, etc.), be it prescription or not, legal or not (drug). I guess what it all boils down to, it's about the individual involved. Where alcohol is concerned, moderation is the key for the most part. Some just don't know when to stop.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »
have a look at this propaganda psa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1CahooPzY

listen to the end
"in a roadside study, 1 in 3 drivers reckless drivers who were tested for drugs tested positive for marijuana..."

sounds pretty scary untill you realize that what it really means is 66% of the reckless drivers tested were not smoking pot. it doesn't say what their bac was, but chances are, if they were tested for substance abuse at the scene of an incident, the were high on something.
from those numbers, pot is actually more benign than other substances.
not that i condone driving while under the influence of anything.  but as indicated by the recent gallup poll showing 46% of america wants to decriminalize marijuana, it would certainly seem that the vast majority of people realize it's pretty harmless