Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: workin' man  (Read 16114 times)

diaper head

• View Profile
workin' man
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
those of us who are lucky enough to have a job these days.... what do you do?
i'm a sheetmetal worker. i fabricate ductwork for h.v.a.c.  ive been a tin knocker since 1985.

pictoratus

• View Profile
Re: workin' man
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »
For about 12 years or so I've been in the computer field. My title is Network Engineer but mostly I'm the guy they call when they can't print or can't login or their PC won't boot, etc.  ;D

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 05:51:08 PM »
Web designer and guitar teacher.  8)

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 05:32:51 AM »
I've been teaching English conversation here in Japan for many years and the wife and I are at retirement age but we still work to keep busy and have something to do  :)  Really a great job and nice country to live in
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:35:33 AM by hillbilly joe »

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:43:13 AM »
I've been teaching English conversation here in Japan for many years and the wife and I are at retirement age but we still work to keep busy and have something to do  :)  Really a great job and nice country to live in

Do you also speak Japanese?

hillbilly joe old

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »

Do you also speak Japanese?

Hi pic

To answer your question, well, we always had an English speaking home, but our daughter spoke Japanese , but she always spoke English to me and I always spoke in English to her. She is now in the States (3 years ago) and I finally decided to improve my Japanese level which currently is very very poor  :(   The wife speaks fluent English and for her it was easier on her just to speak English to me  :-[

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
my wife is from osaka. she says the economy is not so good there right now and there are lots of english teachers who have been sent home.   good to hear you still have work.

hillbilly joe old

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 08:46:23 PM »
my wife is from osaka. she says the economy is not so good there right now and there are lots of english teachers who have been sent home.   good to hear you still have work.

Hey dh

Nice to hear your wife is Japanese. Do you live in Europe or the States. Yes, the English teaching jobs now are hard to come by. Luckily we have our own business. Over the years we employeed 2 other teachers but like you said, business these days are slow.  So you get to eat Japanese food a lot  :)

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:07:03 PM »
i'm american, but i live in canadia. (toronto)

yes, my wife is a great cook, and my diet has changed significantly since we met.
i eat alot more rice than i used to... hahahaha

we share the cooking according to who is getting home first on a given day. so, if you came to my house for dinner one night, you might get japanese, chinese, italian, mexican,  or any one of several different american styles, or one of our own creations.  anyone who leaves our house hungry, it's their own fault.  ;D

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
I'm retired with a band practice facility to keep me occupied when I'm not doing studio gigs.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »
I'm retired with a band practice facility to keep me occupied when I'm not doing studio gigs.

your new official title should be lucky s.o.b.   ;D

good for you! i would love to do that!

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »
I was an Assistant Office Mgr. for a yacht repair yard in Florida the past 10 years. Now looking for a job in the Dallas area. I regret leaving Florida and would go back in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 09:24:28 PM »
they have yachts in texas?

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 12:13:05 AM »
I'm a real estate appraiser.  I recently was hired by my local county to appraise property for the tax assessor.  The private appraiser job has been such a roller coaster of income that it'll be really nice to get a steady income with benifits.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 03:26:13 PM »
my little brother was doing morgates when the economy tanked.  at least workin for the gov you'll probably be steadier