Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Trying to learn licks according to patterns  (Read 3663 times)

caliban4

• View Profile
Trying to learn licks according to patterns
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
I've been going through the lessons and I would really find it useful if I could group the various licks into each of the five pentatonic box positions or each of the five modal box positions (assuming ionic and locrian form part of the same pattern and phrygian and lydian form part of the same pattern as well).  I know I can learn the notes in the various patterns up and down the fretboard but for the purpose of each lesson it would be great to know if this is a pattern 1, 2, or 3, etc lick or not.  I just find it easier to improvise when I divide my thoughts like that and can connect the patterns quickly with linking licks as well.  Any comments or suggestions?

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to learn licks according to patterns
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:29:33 AM »
Hi Caliban4, do what works for you. For myself, I learned a lot of patterns, and then I used the 5 boxes with these patterns. I used patterns over all the 7 modes as well. Then you can work on patterns with different scales too, as such as melodic minor, harmonic minor, diminished, blues scale, whole-tone scale, etc. Just remember to try and create music out of in the end, so that it doesn't sound too much like a scale exercise when you play "live".

Hope that helps.