Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Star Spangled Banner...  (Read 8751 times)

reb

• View Profile
Star Spangled Banner...
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:08:02 PM »
Stu Hamm humbles many of us:

http://guitarsquid.com/Latest/top-10-national-anthem-performances-by-guitarists.html

i have not got further...had to stop and think about Hamm's performance.

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
Re: Star Spangled Banner...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
Liked them all

pygmalion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:26:01 PM »
Yup, they're all pretty fine. Still like Jimi's best though.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
Yeah, Jimi's is the standard.

Vai was pretty creative and Satriani sounded like he was hurrying trying to get it over with but there's nothing like Jimi.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »
speaking of jimi, and the star spangled banner,  how about this?  he and dick cavett had a little conversation about it, and jimi showed a side of himself that didn't come out much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ZYUaRKQkk&feature=related

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 02:18:04 PM »
i didn't know hendrix was forced into the 101st Airborne...'considered to be a subpar soldier' according to the wiki. 

got started on a winding road with that video, diaper head. interesting stuff! thanks!

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »
got started on a winding road with that video, diaper head. interesting stuff! thanks!

hahahaha you went down a bunny trail, i usually call it that.
hendrix had a fairly interesting life, if you can keep separate the love of his talent while you read about him. i mean, not letting it color your perspective you know?  imo, that is the way i decided that what hendrix really was, was the very last of the great blues men.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »
i forget whose book i read, and it mentioned some of hendrix's details...i think it was eric clapton's book. (that was a heck of a story, too)

an interesting bunny trail...surely was. on the radio yesterday, i listened to some guy carrying on about how janis joplin was 'dissed' by a record company exec...the stuff that doesn't come public makes these folks human to me.

jerry garcia's book was pretty good. i had never heard of the train ride concert across canada...wild times!

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:03:59 PM »

jerry garcia's book was pretty good.

does it mention a black les paul?  one that he was holding when he did a rolling stone cover?

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 09:24:58 AM »
aww, geez...yer taxing my memory, which is notoriously broke.

i searched the dead site...the search engine pulls up 'individual words' but won't pull up 'garcia les paul rolling stone' together.

as i recall (see above), there was mention of jerry going through a number of guitars over time...like nearly everyone i know who plays, he didn't settle til somewhere down the road.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 02:39:54 PM »
i didn't know Hendrix was forced into the 101st Airborne...'considered to be a subpar soldier' according to the wiki. 

Yes forced into the 101st.  Chapter out of the Army for being a worthless soldier.  I'm a former 101st Airborne-Air Assault Soldier from Bravo Company, 501st Signal Battalion's CCP Platoon.  What interesting is there is nothing on the base museum about him being there.  Rendezvous with Destiny!