Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: quitting smoking leads to pedalpsychosis  (Read 4374 times)

reb

• View Profile
quitting smoking leads to pedalpsychosis
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:04:54 PM »
So, I'm quitting smoking for the 20th time....and I'm doing everything I can to try to keep my mind off 'want a cigarette'. This led me to looking at old GuitarPlayer articles I had saved. I found the February 2009 article 'Building a Loop Footswitch'...and I realized I had meant to build one of those several months ago, and got sidetracked by so many other things.  A true-by-pass switcher seems to me to be a great idea, but the commercial models are way beyond my budget and my needs.

The article lists the following parts:

Project Box-P-H1444-8 (for one switcher) or P-H1444-16 (for a three switch unit)
Switchcraft 1/4" phone jacks-W-SC-11 (need 8 for the three looper)
Carling DPDT footswitch-P-H497 (three needed for the three looper)
and 20 gauge hookup wire (unshielded, evidently) S-W804L-50 (50 foot roll).
the article also recommends Rosin core solder S-T9001, this was $32, i think, and i left it off. I don't think I'd ever use up that much unless I have to build guitars and boxes for a living.

All the part numbers came right up on the Tubesandmore website. almost scary that they all are still current and in stock. Kudos to Gerald Weber for the very thorough article, and GuitarPlayer for printing it.  As i recall, there is a followon article with instructions how to put led's into the box (off/on indicator).  Gerald was kind enough to author that, also, and that may be my next step if this proves worthwhile.

I got out of there for just over a $100 bucks...I ordered a couple of 6v6 tubes, also (free shipping over $100).

When I get around to this (I hope I don't get distracted by life issues again), I'll let you know whether it improves the sound of my small Boss pedalboard when switched out of the system. I think it will, as i notice sometimes that treble seems strangled a little when I use the pedalboard (I have the 3 unit Boss plastic box).

pictoratus

• View Profile
Re: quitting smoking leads to pedalpsychosis
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »
Good luck on the smoking cessation, reb. I quit a little over 5 years ago. Cold Turkey, no patch, pills, or anything like that. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I was ready to quit which makes a difference.

Looking forward to see how the project turns out.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:27:34 AM »
At least you get some solder smoke while building... sorry bad joke!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
Good luck on the smoking cessation, reb. I quit a little over 5 years ago. Cold Turkey, no patch, pills, or anything like that. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I was ready to quit which makes a difference.

Looking forward to see how the project turns out.

I quit in 1990, cold turkey. I think one's ability to quit depends on your habit.... or I guess I mean if you were a hard core vs casual type smoker. Well, I hope you know what I mean.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:14:50 AM »
so...smoking....a little over a week. still having 'urges'. chewing some redman when urge is strong. nicotine gum not worth the trouble to bring home. 

yeah, zagatron, my dad went cold turkey. i've tried everything from that to patches to gum...and chewing tobacco is the only way i made three months one time. the rest of my quits have been a couple days to a week. i'm having some success when i have the thought 'i want a cigarette' in then following that with ' i DO NOT want a cigarette'. the most success at wiping the thought is getting a pinch of redman....and parking it in my cheek. smoking 40 years, roll yer owns. addicted....physically and mentally.

solder smoke....i have the box assembled 'in the raw'. solder joints done, switches and jacks in place. i hooked up the fuzzface to it last night...strat into box, into fuzzface, into fender champ. big volume loss...not correctable by raising the volume on the fuzz. got big speaker distortion (to the point i thought it might blow it) from raising fuzz volume.  raising the fuzz distortion doesn't do anything for the system, either.

plugging fender reverb pedal (boss) into this setup...when i go direct into the reverb pedal, i notice some treble loss. that could be from the extra length of cable, in fact, vs. direct to amp...or it could be the buffer in the pedal.  in any case, i cannot discern that the bypass box gives me the treble back.

none of this was worth recording, so i didn't. have to do some more thinking on this matter.

note that the biggest interface in all this is...quitting smoking makes solder smoke smell almost obnoxious...but very addictive :)