Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Epiphone Valve Senior  (Read 9416 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Epiphone Valve Senior
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
It seems as though the Epi Valve Senior (at least the combo) didn't go over too well! I had one, but the main reason why I got rid of mine is I had way too many amps. I still do as a matter of fact for somebody that doesn't gig anymore. Still, I think  it was a decent amp. I guess they weren't moving enough units. Oh well, another one bites the dust.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Epiphone Valve Senior
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »
I think the blues custom looks really good.  A tad too expensive for me, but still seems like a great amp.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 07:05:14 PM »
i'm still waiting for someone to start creating low wattage all tube amps,  that have 2 channels, an effects loop, and tank reverb.

pygmalion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:28 AM »
I've had that fantasy for some time, diaper head. I was looking at the Picovalve just the other day and thinking, man, if it just had a 2nd channel, an fx loop, and a real spring reverb... Of course if it did they'd probably want as much for it as a Marshall stack.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
within the next few weeks, i plan to buy (finally) the amp my research tells me is the closest possible to what i want.   way more power than i need, but the smallest, best sounding amp according to my criteria, while staying under a grand:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/637/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Fender_Musical_Instruments/Blues_Deluxe_Reissue.htm

if i'm real lucky i'll find a used one somewhere.

pygmalion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 12:33:05 PM »
Looks sweet. Never played any of them but from what I've heard all the Fender Blues family are pretty fine. And even the little Blues Jr III has a real spring reverb. Still way more than what I need. Already have a 60 watt Marshall JCM. Hard to justify something in the 40 watt range. I need something I can practice with full on that won't have the local villagers gathering at the door with torches and dangerous looking farm implements. 5 watts of raw tube power with a full tone stack, fx loop, foot switchable 2nd channel, and a tank reverb. Yup, pure fantasy.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:39:26 PM by pygmalion »

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 02:26:56 AM »
well yes, for now. but i'm hoping that will change.  even if they ditched the effects loop, but kept the rest, i'd be ok with that. i wonder if someone makes a kit for that.....

pygmalion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 12:02:57 PM »
You mean a kit for a loop? Actually I did find such a creature, made by a Canadian company called London Power. http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=24
And I sorta lied. The amp I was talking about isn't pure fantasy. London Power does make such a beast, the Studio 10. Every feature in a tube amp you could ever want, or think of, and some you probably haven't thought of. Even has 0-10 watt power scaling. And what I said about 'em wanting as much for it as a Marshall stack? At $2700C I guess I was being a bit conservative. For me, at that price, it's still a fantasy. Very interesting site though.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »
diaper head,

yesterday, it was so hot even late, i spent the afternoon looking at musicians friend's 'used sale items'.  they had a bunch of used amps....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-blues-deluxe-reissue-40w-1x12-combo-amp/483718004000000#used

when you see this, you'll have to look and see if it's still available, and if you think it sounds like a good deal. i'm ashamed to say, i bought an amp i have coveted for several years....but...they gave me 10% off the used price when i checked out. and that made me a lot less ashamed...:)

another thought i had while reading the new issue of premier guitar was...carvin. their new 50 watt head has effects loop and reverb, and two or three channels:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/v3microseries.php

yeah...temptation. ben franklin said the best way to get rid of it was to give into it...