Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: which pickup?  (Read 6334 times)

jigman586

• View Profile
which pickup?
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »
Got. Epi dot studio wanting to get new pups.just not sure which ones.I play country/southern rock/classic rock.I was also thinking about getting the coils split so I can use a push pull pot and single coil sounds.help please with these ideas :D

jigman586

• View Profile
Re: which pickup?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »
Sorry guys didnt realize i was in this section.Thought i was in the Electric Guitar section

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:26:48 PM »
i have a set of burstbuckers i got used on craig's list, in my solidbody.  i like to play molly hatchet alot, and these pick ups sound great for that dave hlubeck sound.  i paid $150 for the pair, a new set costs $240/pr plus tax. the money i saved went towards getting them installed, as well as pots and caps for the same guitar, and a set up.  the 57 classics i have in my 335 would do ok too, but not like the BBs.  for country though, i would want single coils.  part of it depends on what amp you are using. seems like some amps like certain pups more than others.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
Humbucker sized P90s sound good but you can't coil split 'em. I have Tonerider Rebel 90s in my Epi Les Paul Studio. Love 'em. Very versatile. (To me anyway..... ::))

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »
i would (and have, in building a scrap tele) go on every pickup manufacturer's website and get all the sound samples i could listen to...in the scrap tele, i have a gfs bucker (one of the vintage alnico 2's, i think) and a lindy fralin bridge sc.  your tone chain is really hard thing to tie down....i have been messing with amplifiers this year. last year it was speakers.  if you change gauges on your strings, it changes tone some....and it will change how you use your fingers.

duane allman, dicky betts, and the rest...the prescription seems to be a decent les paul, and a marshall....but then, they don't always tell all the secrets...and that might sound 'not right' to your ears.  premier guitar has been doing 'rig rundowns'. that might be a source of ideas.  having 'pulled the trigger' on a bunch of pickups, my advice would be listen long...and listen live, if you can...and wait to order until you know how something will sound to you.

for example...my epi les paul was on the 'i might sell it' list, until i recently hooked it up to a thd univalve with an el34 in the amp. whole nother deal.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
Gibson BB Pro's or Seymour Duncans (JB for bridge and SH-2 for neck).  Don't forget new caps too.  Makes a huge difference!

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »
for example...my epi les paul was on the 'i might sell it' list, until i recently hooked it up to a thd univalve with an el34 in the amp. whole nother deal.

a good point to make, i think. i was actually considering to sell my 335, i didn't like the 57 classics. then i played it through a buddie's fender blues deluxe.  now instead of selling the git fiddle, i'm going to buy another amp when i go back to work. your amp is a huge piece of the pie.
at least for me, tone seems to be an ever evolving thing.

Gibson BB Pro's or Seymour Duncans (JB for bridge and SH-2 for neck).  Don't forget new caps too.  Makes a huge difference!

awesome reminder!  definitely pots and caps. new caps (the really good ones) are still under 10 bucks each.  new pots (buy the best) and they're not more than 10-12 bux.  the difference they make is substantial, and for the cost involved, not doing them "while you got the hood open"
doesn't make  sense. i sooo wish i had done before and after recordings  on these guitars. the difference is astonishing.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 08:18:56 AM »
So what did you end up doing?