Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Scales in Open Tuning  (Read 6739 times)

Johnny P

• View Profile
Scales in Open Tuning
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »
Robert,

I play the majority of my solos using the penetonic scale.  Where do I go if I am in open tuning, such as Open D?  Thanks

mike dionne

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Scales in Open Tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:28:53 PM »
im a newbee too, is there other ways to tune your guitar? and why?

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:45:51 PM »
Oops, looks like I missed this one. Sorry!

I don't use open tunings much, but you will need to find the notes you want to use in open tuning too.

You can find a nice fretboard tool here - http://www.scalerator.com/cgi-bin/sdispatch.py?root=D&pattern=blues&tuning=DADF%23AD

Mike, other tunings can be a fun way to explore the instrument. It changes how you play the guitar, how you play chords, etc. Have a go at it and see if you like open tunings.

It's definitely a great "helper" when it comes to playing slide. Most slide players use a form of open tuning. See Sonny Landreth, Derek Trucks, etc.

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:28:25 PM »
im a newbee too, is there other ways to tune your guitar? and why?
Can also give an identifiable sound for a guitarist due to the difference in the chord voicings - think Keith Richards in open G - Stones rhythm guitar parts don't sound the same in ordinary tuning.

Some guitarists use open tuning for both slide and 'normal' playing - I belive for example Chris Rea always uses open E. I've found that open E is a particularly resonant tuning for slide.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »
i have messed with 'dadgad' a little. the slide guys, a lot of them play in open e tuning (simply tuned to an e chord, but strings open).

dadgad is deceptive. there is a lot of drone in it. some guys make your mind wobble with it...lawrence juber comes to mind. i tried to find a good track, but he doesn't offer any freebies on his site, and youtube is all 'recorded live' with too many artifacts to showcase him well.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:00:25 PM »
Here's a good example of DADGAD tuning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR_HWMzgyc