Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: SX vs Squire Bullet  (Read 18568 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
SX vs Squire Bullet
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
I've never seen any threads on this even though I'm sure it's been discussed before, but how does a SX Strat square up with a Squire Bullet to you guys? Guy I know picks up an SX Hawk Strat (3 pc ash body) this week and the thing feels like a guitar 3 times the price he paid for it. The last squier bullet I messed around with felt like a piece you'd get from Target or Walmart. Only Squiers I have are a JV, a Pro Tone and a couple of CVs. Yeah.... high end Squiers. ::)

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SX vs Squire Bullet
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
SX is probably better, I'd say. Right, Sven?

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:10:31 PM »
Well I really like SX necks a lot.  I don't know much about hardware, but I'm guessing they're about equal.  Both come with ceramic pickups.  My friend has an SX and I wasn't too fond of the way it sounded until I put some really pricey pickups in it.   For home use it wa fine, but at a gig it  was jsut way too bright.   But if you're talking about a platform for modding I prefer the chunkier SX neck and big frets.   Lots of guys over on that other forum will defend Squires untill their last breath, so I guess they're good too.

so while I prefer SX myself, its probably just matter of personal preference.  I've picked up some Bullets that felt great too.

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
  • Being stupid is its own reward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:46:34 PM »
I have a friend who has an sx strat he upgraded a few parts and that guitar is Sweet! :)
Feels and plays great

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
Anyone here tried the SX Telecasters?

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »

I was thinking about tryin' one out, but I got too many toys as it is.

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »

I love mine.  My friend went over the frets to even them out, and the plastic nut cracked after a year.  So they're not perfect out of the box, but they sound and play fantastic with minimal work.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
I've heard of people who like the SX guitars.  But just as the other posts here say, you'll need to upgrade them.  Good place for parts is angela.com.  They cover just about everything!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 06:33:07 PM »
I've heard of people who like the SX guitars.  But just as the other posts here say, you'll need to upgrade them.  Good place for parts is angela.com.  They cover just about everything!

+1 to that. I get a lot of amp parts from them aaaaaaand they're close by me. About 25 minutes, but they don't do walk in sales.

weelie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 09:57:17 AM »
I had a modded SX tele... never liked it, sold it at 50% profit. Have Squier bullet (the cxurrent, post 2007 version, no plywood, and has a trem),  modded, I dig it. To each his own, I say.

I'd like a shorter scale precision bass. SX carries some. Too bad that's in the US, not here.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »

+1 to that. I get a lot of amp parts from them aaaaaaand they're close by me. About 25 minutes, but they don't do walk in sales.

Maybe you could help the rest of us out because I'd hate to buy a $12 TBX control kit and spend another $15 to have it shipped!

Bathead

• Ra's Al Xuffasch (I think)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
I had a modded SX tele... never liked it, sold it at 50% profit. Have Squier bullet (the cxurrent, post 2007 version, no plywood, and has a trem),  modded, I dig it. To each his own, I say.

I'd like a shorter scale precision bass. SX carries some. Too bad that's in the US, not here.
Where are you at? SX does have distributors outside the U.S.A.

weelie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 02:15:13 AM »
I'm in Finland, Europe.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »
Its amazing how the world connects with the universal language of guitar!

kurtdaniel

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:57:01 AM »
squier because they can be upgraded easier than the sx because they don't use fender/squier dimensions. Its perfect for studying how to learn guitar..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:02:30 PM by kurtdaniel »