Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Reverb  (Read 5798 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Reverb
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »
Effects among other things have gone a long way since.... like say, 38 years ago. Especially attitudes. Anyway, from time to time I see how much people say how they like spring reverb better than say, digital. They'll swear by it. I understand, but I'd rather have any kind of reverb than none at all. That's just my personal taste. My Mack amps Skyraider head doesn't have reverb, so that's where my Line 6 M9 comes in. Bottom line is this.... folks are way more particular than ever these days. Plus, I ain't even talkin' about the guys that do it (play) for a living. I remember a time when all this stuff "they" talk about now didn't matter as much as it does now. You know...... true by pass and all that other stuff I failed to mention. Just an observation.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:23:27 PM by zagatron1 »

diaper head

• View Profile
Re: Reverb
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »
two things that might be a factor are disposable income, and our current culture of consumerism.
38 yrs ago, it was 1972.  people didn't generally spend as much on their hobbies as they do now. these days a 2 income household is the norm. those days, you still had alot of stay at home moms.
certainly at that time a hobby player would not own a guitar that cost a week's pay, with an amp that cost another week's pay, plus $$ for effects.  it just wasn't done.

as for me, these days, i currently use delay because i don't like the s.s. reverb i have now.
for me, i'd rather have none that use anything other than tank verb.  but alot of that is because my playinf is such that i need all the help i can get   ;D

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:50:32 AM »
two things that might be a factor are disposable income, and our current culture of consumerism.
38 yrs ago, it was 1972.  people didn't generally spend as much on their hobbies as they do now. these days a 2 income household is the norm. those days, you still had alot of stay at home moms.
certainly at that time a hobby player would not own a guitar that cost a week's pay, with an amp that cost another week's pay, plus $$ for effects.  it just wasn't done.

as for me, these days, i currently use delay because i don't like the s.s. reverb i have now.
for me, i'd rather have none that use anything other than tank verb.  but alot of that is because my playinf is such that i need all the help i can get   ;D

Please don't get me wrong.... I'm just sayin' there was a time when folks just weren't so picky. It wasn't a hobby for me back then. I was playin' regular. Maybe it depends on the music you played, the sound you wanted or the region you came from. I prefer reverb period, so I guess I'm sayin' I didn't understand why some folks were so..... well you know, like analytical 'bout things these days. Maybe that's what I'm tryin' to say. I know we want to tweak our sound to what fits us. Some of the things I read about today weren't issues back in the day, other than wanting the sound you strive for. Of course the internet wasn't a factor otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. Hmmm. Didn't mean to step on anybody's shoes. Sorry. Peace!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:14:38 AM by zagatron1 »

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:33:41 AM »
One thing that seems different now than back then at least in my experience is back then it seemed guitar players didn't get into the 'nuts and bolts' of their equipment to the degree that they seem to do nowadays. Whether it was guitars or amps or effects or whatever, it seemed like people just played with what they had available.

And maybe that's part of it. Today there's a lot more access to info and parts and things that weren't readily available before the Internet.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »
I like digital reverb.  I had a Holy Grail before I had Fender amps that had built in Reverb.  I rather prefer digital because if the amp starts to feedback, it shake the crap out of the spring in the reverb tank... I hate that!

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »
i think your right, people are more picky now.  i just "theorize" that picky-ness comes from having more options available to you.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 08:18:33 AM »
No kidding.  Years ago, guitarist had to do with what they had, they didn't have hundreds of dollars to spend on pedals, amps, and other gear.  It was whatever was available and you made do with it...