Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Fuzz in the pedal chain  (Read 20899 times)

caliban4

• View Profile
Fuzz in the pedal chain
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »
I have a fulltone 69 fuzz but I haven't been able to get a definite idea where a fuzz should go in the pedal chain.  Some people say right after the guitar and some say at the end after distortion and yet some say after the wah but before the overdrives.  Is there at least a start off position based on some scientific explanation.  I know there will be some who will say to try it everywhere which is fair enough, but it would be useful to have a start off objective premise from a sound engineering point of view rather than the usual subjective opinions.  Anyone able to shed light on this?

reb

• View Profile
Re: Fuzz in the pedal chain
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:48:40 AM »
http://www.guitarboomer.com/2008/04/how-to-choose-correct-signal-chain.html

i found this with a quick search. i have always heard 'before everything else, after a wah ONLY'. the reasoning is supposed to be that the germanium or silicon transistor in a fuzz doesn't like buffers.

i don't use a lot of pedals usually. when i use my fuzz face, i find that any pedal i have got anywhere around the dang thing changes its sound. so i use it by itself. this seems to be more prevalent with tube amps than digital...and i scratch my head. i dunno.

i think, given the variety of manufacturing methods, range of 'acceptability' (not iso 9000, i think) in components and general 'on the ground' changes for every guitarist, guitar, amp and cable....everything is somewhat subjective about fuzz. one 'too long with the soldering gun on one connection', and everything changes in the line. do they do a qa check on the finished product at dunlop or fulltone? i dunno....:) if they aren't using a scope, but just their ears, does that count as a random qa check? no, guai lo...throw it in the box and ship it to dam yankees! (i think that's what i would hear in china on the manufacturing floor, eh?)

and deming taught these people using our money, too. they are doing a lot better, so i have my tongue in my cheek some.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
Fuzz/Overdrive/Distortion all go after the Wah and before the modulation effects.  Not very often does anyone use Fuzz/OD/Dist at the same time, usually one or the other.  But if you are, simply trying out a different combination is half the fun when finding your tone.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »
Seems to work best early in the chain, in my experience. But try in different places - rules are meant to be broken! :)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »
I've been thinking a little more about this pedal.  Since I use a Boss ST-2 Powerstack, its sort of a preamp high gain pedal, but not a distortion.  In essence, its a Marshall in a box.  (Probably why its color scheme looks the way it does).  I been wanting a Big Muff PI w/ Tone Wicker.  But since its a fuzz pedal, I think I'd want that in front of my od/preamp driver....

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 07:53:40 AM »
a couple months back, 'Guitar Player' had a fuzz article..if i remember right, it was several pages long with some good tech data in it. i don't think this is the exact article i read, but i found it with a search:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/fuzz-face-off/5764

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »
Man! That's bunch of fuzzes there!

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
reminds me of the story 'fuzzy wuzzy'. :)

the article i read in gp a few months ago delineated the differences between overdrive, distortion and fuzzy wuzzy. once in awhile, they have a good tech article.  there is so much crossover in pedals now, it makes my head hurt. i'm NOT going to buy another distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal. i don't think there is enough difference in them to be worth spending $10 at this point...but i might buy another 5 watt amp :)

actually, what i wanna try, and don't quite have the $ right now...is 'low powered speaker for X watt amp'. supposed to be about 3 times the rating of the amp vis a vis the speaker...so, for a 5 watt tube amp, a 15 watt speaker, iow. i would like to hear a tiny amp distort, and then see what that adds to the brew.

i promised a friend a song on the acoustic with harmonica, and i can't get off my dead derriere...so i don't know why i'm thinking about fuzz...g. a. s., i suppose.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 08:59:27 PM »
Good link, reb!

Here's another. Pretty much everything you want to know and hear on a bunch of different fuzz effects.

http://www.fuzzboxgirl.com/

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 07:58:44 PM »
oh, man! i LOVE fuzzboxgirl....she's humorous, and can make the stick wail and wow!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fuzzboxgirl

she, i think, is the vixen who got me to buy a fuzz face...