Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Finding the Sweet Spot on Boss DD3  (Read 17961 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Finding the Sweet Spot on Boss DD3
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:05 AM »
I recently obtained my Boss DD3 Digital Delay.  Rather cool effect if you know how to use it.  Originally I found a video on youtube with Joe Bonamassa discussing his DD3.   He uses his DD3 through the effects loops of his amps for a cleaner effect so there was no preamp distortion in the mix. He mentioned all the knobs were set to 12 o'clock.  He played a few things and it sounded great.  I tried to do the same on my Deluxe Reverb, too much delay.   I want my delay to enhance lead playing tones, not over power them.  I have a feeling when he uses the effects loop, the signal level is lower than what I do running through the front of the RD.  But trying to find the sweet spot was rather difficult, so much so I've been considering returning the pedal.  Yesterday, I did a web search to see if there were any more recommendations on settings.  I found one and tried it out.  Bingo!  I found my perfect setting.  Level at 10 o'clock, Feedback a 9 o'clock,  Delay time at 12 o'clock, and using the long 800MS (12 o'clock).  I now have what believe is a perfect setting for lead delay tone.  Must of played for an hour non-stop at that setting!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:13:16 AM by DetroitBlues »

diaper head

• View Profile
Re: Finding the Sweet Spot on Boss DD3
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »
i was never big on trying to achieve someones layered tones.  it just seems overly complicated to me.
but i was never big on lots of  effects anyhow.  for me, i like to plug straight in. i use an overdrive/distortion for some things,   and every now and again, i'll use a little chorus. that's it for me.
i wouldn't mind having a pitch shifter/harmonizer though. 

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »
I'm not trying to sound like any one artist, but rather trying to add a little flavor when I'm playing.  I like to get ideas from others and make them fit for what I'm playing...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »
I had a Boss DD6 I wish I'd kept, but that's another story.  Anyway, I do have a MXR Carbon Copy I leave on to give kind of a "live outdoor sound". That's probably the best way I can explain it. ???   It gives like, a presence to the sound......I guess. It's more noticable during solos but otherwise gets lost in the mix, but that's no big deal. All in all, I would say it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:42:19 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »
MXR is an analog delay right?  I've heard analog is actually much better than digital...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »
MXR is an analog delay right?  I've heard analog is actually much better than digital...

Yes, it's analog, but to be honest, I can't tell the difference!? I've played around with comparing it to the delays (19 different variations) in my Line 6 M9 and then I tried the TC Eletronics Nova System delays (it has 6 in it) and once I set them to what I wanted, I was on my way. Heck, I've had the Echoplex and Space Echo boxes and just happy to have something that'll do the job. Yes, I've heard the same thing, "analog is better than digital". BUT,  to who? I'll take either one or both. There's just so many to choose from....tape echo, digital delay, analog delay for starters. I guess, to fully understand the difference, one needs to understand how each one works, then compare.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:11:58 AM »
Robert Keeley offers a mod on the DD3 that can switch it back and forth from analog to digital.  Thought about that.  For $60, its really not a bad idea.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »
I'm not trying to sound like any one artist, but rather trying to add a little flavor when I'm playing.  I like to get ideas from others and make them fit for what I'm playing...

i didn't mean to come off the wrong way.  what i was trying to sort of say is, i don't do it because i'm too busy trying to tame my fingers.
adding electronics that i don't really understand would be like giving a calculator to a monkey.  i can push the buttons, but all i really want is another banana   ;D

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »
Now that's funny!  I knew what you meant, I just like to add some spice to my medicore playing so it doesn't sound so medicore.  C'mon, we all can't be as good as Robert...

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
I need all the help I can get to make my playing sound that little bit tastier & I have a TC Electronics Flashback delay that is always on the 2290 or analog setting,
I especially love downloading some of the  toneprints from TC Electronics, Pete Thorns, Steve Morse, Bumblefoot, Pro Guitar Shop,
 all have some fantastic Toneprints, to suit your tastes.
Sorry DetroitBlues for hijacking your DD3 topic & raving about another pedal.  8)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:01:36 PM »
Its all about finding the sweet spot for your own pedal, regardless if its a Boss Delay or any other effect.