Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: New Versus Used- What's your preference?  (Read 13794 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New Versus Used- What's your preference?
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »
This is a debate I haven't seen brought up in a while, possibly not ever (at least directly as a thread). There are many guitar collectors out there that believe in buying new guitars because no one else has touched their guitars. Then again, there are many guitarists out there like myself believe that a used, even well worn, guitar has lots of mojo in them and those are the guitars they must have. However, there are many who like both. So here's my question to all of you (no, I'm not looking to buy a guitar), do you have to or prefer a new guitar over used and why? Does it matter the type of guitar, i.e. Fender, Gibson, Heritage, or G&L..etc.?

I actually prefer used because my tastes often change and cannot afford to have everything I want at one time. That way if or when I part with a guitar, my losses will be minimum at best. However, I've also found letting go of a used guitar is much easier then selling one bought new....

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: New Versus Used- What's your preference?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »
If I could afford to get a guitar that caught my eye (new or used) I would go that route. What kind of makes it difficult to get rid of a guitar, is one that you "upgrade". You already know you're not gonna get anything close to what you feel you should, not to mention what ($) you put into it.  Especially when it wasn't a top dollar piece to start with, and there are a lot of good inexpensive pieces out there these days.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »
as i'm going along, without things like steinbergers in the equation, please note, i'm coming to the view that a used guitar is a better bargain. unless there is some slick rick selling it, and hiding something that i might not find (pups, or a fake paint job to make one brand look like another, for example), i think i would get a better instrument than buying the same model new. just like cars, the depreciation hit is worst on the 'new' end.

i have not yet seen a synapse 'used'. since i have one that works, i'm not looking, either....but i would feel more confident about one of those 'used' than any other guitar at this point.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »
i'm a cheep skate.  i try to buy used for lots more things than guitars.  some things you just don't find used that much.  ever seen a c/l ad for the eventide pitchfactor? i never have.   when i get one, it'll probably have to be new.  i don't think i would buy a used talk box for obvious reasons. but other wise i avoid new

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 03:10:41 AM »
I have only brought one second hand guitar & it is my favourite a 1998 Fender American Standard Strat with Kinman p/ups & Callaham bridge & block upgrade it is just an awesome guitar to play & has a lovely tone.
Its funny but I had to sell one of my other guitars to pay for my Hagstrom that I just brought, I put it on Ebay & had six or so watchers
but I got cold feet & pulled the auction before anyone bid, I just can't bring myself to sell any of my guitars even though I needed the dollars, I just get attached to them even though I only really need one, but it does come in handy to have them all in different tunings.
Being a lefty you do not see a lot of second hand guitars for sale, come to think of it ain't to many decent new ones either!!!!! in Oz.  8)

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 03:32:41 AM »
For me buying used has a bit financial advantage - he said, stating the obvious. Although I will try guitars before i buy (if possible) I still am not able to tell whether it'll be a keeper - one of those ones that becomes a good fit over time and gets better as the two of you get used to each other. So I do end up selling on a lot of my guitars and the hit on a new one can be quite eye-wateringly painful. If it's a higher end guitar then I am most inclined to go used unless there's the rare event of an end of line big discounts on the usual new price.

The negative of used is of course the danger of buying a guitar that has some problems that are going to bite you caused ny the previous owner(s) - not all these problems are obvious at the time of buying. A lot of guitar shops don't seem too particular in checking out the second hand gear too thoroughly either. Then there's the fake rip-offs problem too and jiggery pokery with dates and serial numbers - I've had a guitar shop a couple of years ago trying to tell me a used guitar was a 1980s 'vintage lawsuit' Tokai when the serial number told me after five minutes on the internet that it was less than 10 years old. It's maybe a bit fanciful too, but I sometimes think with used guitars you can hit a problem if the previous owners mojo is incompatible with your own so the guitar doesn't play right without a long struggle.

Its funny but I had to sell one of my other guitars to pay for my Hagstrom that I just brought, I put it on Ebay & had six or so watchers
but I got cold feet & pulled the auction before anyone bid, I just can't bring myself to sell any of my guitars even though I needed the dollars, I just get attached to them even though I only really need one
I can identify with that - once did a 50 mile round trip with no sale at the end of it due to getting cold feet when the haggling process was about to start and I realised I'd miss the damn guitar.
I've also found letting go of a used guitar is much easier then selling one bought new....
And yep - it WAS a new one. I think it's more difficult to get attached to a used guitar so it is easier to part company.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »
Best thing about buying used from a store like Guitar Center, even if its shipped from another store, you have 30 days to find out if there is an issue and get a full refund if you don't like it.  I buy all my guitar pedals that way.

Scratch N Sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
My preference is for used, although financial constraints have always played a part.
 I recently did buy a 'new' guitar although it was an ex display model, so not really untouched. Plays like a dream after a set up.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_JRqSujig. A lot of guitar for the money.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 02:35:30 AM »
Lookin' good! Put together real nice. I like.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 04:40:10 PM »
that really is quite loverly. i've never played a kelly, but if it plays half as good as it looks, it's a keeper.

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »
My preference is new, but I haven't been in a pawn shop for a while. I'd buy a used acoustic with no problem, but an electric I'd still probably go the new route. But one never knows till you have the money in your pocket and go shopping.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 07:59:39 AM »
wow! what a gorgeous guitar!

Scratch N Sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »
Thanks guys, it really is fantastic finish on the guitar and it plays really well, it had a great feel from the start. I put a set of 10's on, lowered the action and with a few intonation tweaks it was set. A definite keeper. Look into the MK guitars, if this is anything to go by, the price of them will go up quickly.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »
I mostly buy used because well, they are cheaper!  ;D

I also try them out before I buy, except for one I bought sight unseen, to make sure there's not something wrong or that I can't fix.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »
i think i might be learning something.  as i watch craig's list i see alot of people trying to sell  used gear.
what i am used to is,  when i come across used gear in great condish,  i expect to pay about 70% of the purchase price, plus a little extra if there have been significant upgrades that i would not undo.  what i am seeing is, people selling used gear and expecting  90% or more of the purchase price.  they expect full reimbursement for the upgrades including labor. they always mention the tax they paid on the purchase, as if i even care. the tax is half the reason i don't buy new.  the other half is the initial hit from depreciation.  seems like no one understands that anymore. now C/L gets longer and longer as used gear that is over priced just doesn't sell.