Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Marshmellows and North Koreans  (Read 8793 times)

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
Marshmellows and North Koreans
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:28:21 AM »

diaper head

• View Profile
Re: Marshmellows and North Koreans
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
n.korea is poor beyond description.  if someone can help a few of them smile a little with something like a marshmallow (which i love) then i'm all for it.   some of those people need to know that the rest of the world hasn't forgotten them.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
geez...they used to be one nation until the &^%$ communists got involved. i know a few vietnamese who dislike the communists even more than i do.

that's perty cool. i bet there aint a dozen people in n. korea who've ever had a s'more.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:34:09 AM »
I spent a year in south Korea and never heard of this...  I'd rather think the North Koreans would of hoped they'd be sent ballons to air lift them back to the south.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »
I spent a year in south Korea and never heard of this...  I'd rather think the North Koreans would of hoped they'd be sent ballons to air lift them back to the south.

in all the korean dramas (we watch them all, in my house) everyone in s.korea is wealthy.  first they fall in love, then they die of a brain tumor, or some obscure malady which allows them to still be beautiful when they die. everyone from n. korea is a spy sent by the government to do some hateful thing intended to punish democracy. ive only seen one or maybe two, where those on the other side of the dmz are portrayed any other way.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
Couldn't tell you.  I didn't watch a lot of TV back then.  But I did reside in the same barracks with those who had to investigate reports of North Korean spies... Those guys were very hush hush.... until they had a couple beers in them.

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:54:28 AM »
I spent a bit of time in South Korea a few years back & found that everyone I came in contact with to be so friendly, they could not do enough for me, take me out to lunch, dinner ,movies &  impossible to pay for anything, I was sitting on the sidewalk one day & a gorgeous girl came up to me introduced herself & said to wait here while she went & got her car, pulled up told me to jump in to go to her place for lunch, incredible apartment with the best stereo I have ever listened to, great food & conversation, they love westerners.
Kids go to school come home then go out till late for more lessons in English etc & so polite, not like the little shiteheads in Oz & the States. The roads are chockerblock but no road rage, I saw no agro the whole time I was there & real Techno heads the broadband speeds leave ours for dead. Sorry to waffle on, I'll leave now, I feel a marshmellow coming on.  ::)

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »
you know, where i come from we don't call that a marshmallow.
we say "there's a brown mouse peekin' out my back door"  hahahahaha
 ;D

i would love to go there sometime. maybe i could get a deal on a nice guitar, who knows?
some of the countryside i see in their movies looks beautiful.  i can only wonder about the awesomeness of their freshwater fishing.

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:48:54 PM »
you know, where i come from we don't call that a marshmallow.
we say "there's a brown mouse peekin' out my back door"  hahahahaha
 ;D

i would love to go there sometime. maybe i could get a deal on a nice guitar, who knows?
some of the countryside i see in their movies looks beautiful.  i can only wonder about the awesomeness of their freshwater fishing.

It can be a bit crowded at the beach, they told me this was a quiet day.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »
I spent a bit of time in South Korea a few years back & found that everyone I came in contact with to be so friendly, they could not do enough for me, take me out to lunch, dinner ,movies &  impossible to pay for anything, I was sitting on the sidewalk one day & a gorgeous girl came up to me introduced herself & said to wait here while she went & got her car, pulled up told me to jump in to go to her place for lunch, incredible apartment with the best stereo I have ever listened to, great food & conversation, they love westerners.
Kids go to school come home then go out till late for more lessons in English etc & so polite, not like the little shiteheads in Oz & the States. The roads are chockerblock but no road rage, I saw no agro the whole time I was there & real Techno heads the broadband speeds leave ours for dead. Sorry to waffle on, I'll leave now, I feel a marshmellow coming on.  ::)

The love for Americans only goes so far.  Every summer, all the college student protest the American military bases that occupy their lands...  It's a whole different side of them you never hear about in the news.  Constant fire bombing, riot police at every gate....  It didn't bother us to much and yes many that I delt with were rather nice and acted in the same way you described.  Given all that, I'd still go back to S. Korea in a heartbeat, just not as a GI.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
the only koreans i have known were 'at work' and in tae kwan do. they are (along with most of the oriental people i have met) the hardest working group i've ever seen. generally, good people.

that beach scene is a bit crowded for my taste.  my gosh at the mcdonald's umbrellas!

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 06:04:47 AM »
And don't they love the old Karaoke bars & they ain't shy about it either, grab the mike & rock on!!!!!!
I have to knock back a few bourbons before I get in to it but not them. ;D

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »
i can't say nuthin'. i will go up on a karaoke stage stone sober...and sound like poop, too.

grampaw said we had armenian in us...maybe that's a little oriental?

a friend of mine had me over to dinner with some vietnamese folks he knows...we did karaoke on their home machine for 3 hours...some of it in vietnamese, and i don't speak vietnamese, but i can sing in tongues as well as the next person. i suppose one might be able to imagine...:) one of the things about being sober around inebriated people singing off key...you have to have a certain mind set to appreciate that, i think. or maybe, my mind is just not set enough to fail to enjoy it.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »

grampaw said we had armenian in us...maybe that's a little oriental?

kim kardahian is of armenian descent.   that makes you part ay-rab! hahahahaa

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »
if i saw some woman with mammary glands like that, they'd be callin' me 'ahab the ay-grab'!

them kardashians....frankly, i agree with craig ferguson as to them. she is pretty, but she's an airhead. the best thing about her is she don't stick around long...was it 70 days she was married?

what makes me laugh, dh, is...i did one of those cheek swab dna things. my cousin's daughter is into geneaology (however it's spelled), so i thought to give her some info that would help her. it turned out, the oldest marker that the company came up with is in northwest china, kinda mongolia....so, before my dna came to armenia, it came from china.  if i were to bop a kardashian sister, it would be incest, anyway. :)