Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: ah, yes...the Squid strikes again  (Read 4816 times)

reb

• View Profile
ah, yes...the Squid strikes again
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
if gear came with warning labels, version V (previous versions listed below).  i wish they would give warning labels on some amps 'the marketing hype about this unit is far from the actual truth that it will not distort, and will sometimes give strange artifacts in the sound of your very favorite guitar'.

http://guitarsquid.com/Latest/if-gear-came-with-warning-labels-volume-v.html

did you ever ask yourself 'why are there so many 'slightly different amps and guitars, and a wad of stompboxes that mostly sound the same?'. i have....and the answers i get are disturbing.

this is why i have been cutting down my junk.if the gear i buy came with warning labels- 'this guitar will sound about like the rest of  your guitars; you may think it will make you a guitar god, but you are only a legend in your own mind. in addition, every tiome the humidity goes up or down 10%, the sucker will not stay in tune.'. :)

diaper head

• View Profile
Re: ah, yes...the Squid strikes again
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »
i feel for ya on that one!  my 335 can be that way at times with the humidity.  it's frustrating, isn't it?

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
dh, i think sometimes i am loony....i have a strat...under certain environmental conditions, i pick it up, i play for an hour...and it's fine. not much drift at all.

other times, usually when it's either about to rain, or has just rained, i play it...every 10 minutes, i can hear it go out of tune. i wonder to myself if it's the body heat of me holding it or???  wood is very strange...it has 'personality'.

when i was gigging semi-regularly, this is why the steinberger went with me lots of times. i had to put up with the yaya about 'where's the headstock', but that was better than hearing 'you're out of tune'. i have let it sit in a car for 2 hours in 100 heat, and by golly, if it drifts, it only drifts a cent or two. same in cold weather.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:32:22 PM »
That was a good read. Took awhile cause I went back to volume I, but could relate to it anyway. All in all, gear is going to be gear now, and probably in the future.

Scratch N Sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »
Love that Squid stuff!! Humidity, I live in Manchester, North West England, we don't have humidity just rain and cold. Never have my guitars exposed to dry heat, central heating. The only temperature change is out of a cold room to a cold case to an even colder practice room. Get the idea Manchester is a damp, cold place!!! Summer is 2 weeks with the sun peaking through a cloud!!! Humidity, yes please!!! I'll deal with it! 

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
SNS, our weather has turned to near northern England...we have had 4 days rain, and are set to get maybe 4 or 5 more, temps in the 40s/50s. after running my yap about too much gear, i bought a super swede. we'll see if that 'h stress rod' actually helps the tuning stability.

we can go here in centex from 100% humidity to 20% in a week or so.....from 30s to 70s same time. it's heck on wood...makes some barn wood into nice picture frames. i wonder if anyone has ever used any of those planks for a guitar?