Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Telecaster suggestions.  (Read 8032 times)

fischer

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Telecaster suggestions.
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
Hi.
I am playing traditional Blues and i would like to buy a Fender Telecaster to play my Blues on.
Is there anyone out there who could help me with which Fender Telecaster i should buy.

I know in the end that it's an induvidual thing, but i would just like some suggestions.

I have about 1000 GBP / 1600 US Dollars to spend.

Thanks in advance.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Telecaster suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
Telecaster Deluxe is rather good.  Also look into the 60th anniversery models.  But honestly, just about any tele would work as long as the pickups were not super hot.  It really boils down to a couple things.. What style of blues are you playing, how thick of a neck do you like, and what color do you like?  There really isn't a bad tele for playing blues....

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:52:58 PM »
If you can swing it, a telecaster deluxe is quite popular. I have one with lace sensor pickups and I really like the tone coming from it. I have a natural "alder" body, I believe. I don't think it is swamp ash. I'd forgot, maybe someone here can correct me on that. I think for natural finish they use "alder", is that correct guys.

I did find the neck (maple) was a bit fat for my small hands, but now I am used to it, but it took a long time though.

Good luck in finding that "fender magic", I sure found it in mine.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
that kinda dough will get you a really nice instrument.  my advice would be this -
go to every shop you can get to reasonably.  play every tele you see. the "right one"  will choose you.

that said, you haven't mentioned your amp.  a great guitar through a crappy amp will sound like crap. but a nice amp with a crappy guitar can sound pretty amazing. whatever your spending on the guitar, your amp should be worth about as much.  this will give you the best possible results.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
Another piece of advice is to buy used if you can, I wouldn't suggest buying sight unseen, but if you buy it from some place like Guitar Center's used gear site and have it shipped to you, you can return it within 30 days.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:14:22 AM »
i would suggest you go to the nearest music store with a big inventory....it would be worth it to take an mp3 recorder with you if you have one  (i have a zoom h1 i took with me the last time i spent any serious money). if you have an amp you like-or a head with speaker...or, if you know some artist whose sound you really like and are familiar with...use that model amp at the store.

then play the living 'ahem' out of all the inventory they will let you play. i have a squier Classic Vibe tele. i have not yet seen another tele i would exchange it for...but i don't bother playing them any more...so. i listened to one of Lindy Fralin's videos on youtube, and his MIM (made in mexico) change horse he uses for pickup demonstration sounds so dang good...but Lindy is an accomplished player...and a junker would likely sound good.

the important thing is to satisfy yourself.  if it sounds good to you, you can make music you like with it. if you don't like your music, why would you play it? to satisfy someone else? naw....

the only thing i wish i had on my squier tele is a candy apple red finish. i would not, however, trade it for a candy apple red 'fender custom shop' tele unless the 'fcs' tele noticably sounded better to me.

out of 50 different teles...you might find 3 that will stand out to you...they 'feel right' or 'sound right'.

besides, half the fun is the playing of someone else's tele :)

fischer

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions.
You gave me a lot to think about and i will take your advice in consideration.

I think I'm going to look around in the shops with your advice in my mind.

Thanks for a great first-time experience on these forums :)

Fischer.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »

Fischer.

No problem, hope you find what you're looking for.  Oh, and when you are testing the tele's out, its best to use the same model amp you have at home.  That's something I always do so I know it should sound similiar at home as it does in the store!

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:47:15 AM »
The Squier CV 50s tele does it for me, both colors regardless of the different pickups. These scream quality for a next to nothing price. After playing a few at some stores it will be my next guitar. Oh, and I simply love my mexi strat. I prefer it over my brothers original '62 strat if you can believe it, the neck is better, the pickups sound almost exactly the same and the tuners are much much better.

Good luck finding your git man :)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »

Fischer.

Did you find your tele yet?

IM4Tone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread until it resurfaced today:
a great guitar through a crappy amp will sound like crap. but a nice amp with a crappy guitar can sound pretty amazing. whatever your spending on the guitar, your amp should be worth about as much.  this will give you the best possible results.
This advice is the best you'll ever read. I'd even go a step further and say "If you're tight on funds, spend the highest % on a quality amp. There are many, many mid priced guitars ($500-$700) that both play well and sound great with a good amp. Even some $300 to $400 guitars will sound good and may play well also." ;D

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread until it resurfaced today:
a great guitar through a crappy amp will sound like crap. but a nice amp with a crappy guitar can sound pretty amazing. whatever your spending on the guitar, your amp should be worth about as much.  this will give you the best possible results.
This advice is the best you'll ever read. I'd even go a step further and say "If you're tight on funds, spend the highest % on a quality amp. There are many, many mid priced guitars ($500-$700) that both play well and sound great with a good amp. Even some $300 to $400 guitars will sound good and may play well also." ;D

I think you can give a crappy amp and guitar to Robert and he'll still sound great!