Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Accoustic Amp  (Read 4921 times)

johannes.maas

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Accoustic Amp
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »
Hi there

playing a hagstrom viking ii, via Boss ME 70 Multieffect with amp simulator
and this through a marshall50 AS D accoustic amp.

I got told, that using an accoustic amp with a multi fx amp simulator will be equivalent to playing through a PA or an active monitor.

At the moment I am abit disappointed by the sound quality. the guitar seems to sound way better whe using my small monitor boxes than playing through the amp.

Do you think soundquality will improve if I use an active monitor (or two) instead of that accoustic amp?

especially gain or crunch sound is not satisfying atm - sounds really muddy

have this in mind:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_stagepas_300_bundle.htm

reb

• View Profile
Re: Accoustic Amp
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
i've never played a marshall acoustic amp.  every amp has it's own characteristics. acoustic amps, generally, are trying to emulate the sound of the acoustic guitar. most of them are digital, so, they are trying for 'accurate reproduction', which is the same thing a pa is supposed to do. i have no clue what putting a multieffect unit in between guitar and acoustic amp would do. generally, most 'electric guitar amps' have some distortion, which is-strangely enough-what most of us who play electric want. fenders are known-again, generally-for 'clean', but they also will do dirty, as will many other amplifiers.  i have a couple of 5 watt electric guitar amps-at quarter volume, their 'clean' will sound different with different guitars and pickups.

it would be a good learning experience to go to a music store and play through some different amps with your viking. it might save a lot of frustration and money for you.

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:13:02 PM »
I can't figure out why you are  using an acoustic amp with your guitar & using a multieffect pedal, what sort of music do you like to play?
I think reb is correct you should go to a guitar shop & try out a guitar amp, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a nice tone out of your Hagstrom, I have a tube amp that I love & my Hagstrom sounds amazing through it but I also have a cheap Vox VT20+ valvetronix modeling amp with a little 8" speaker that sounds really good in its own right too. I used to have one of those pedals similar to yours running into a modeling amp & it had a terrible tone, it was ok clean but throw gain into it & it turned to mud, I sold both & brought a decent amp. 8)

johannes.maas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »
I am using that accoustic amp because I already had it for my accoustic guitar and

because a normal electric guitar amp wont let me use the amp modelling of the fx pedal...

the normal guitar amp has its own characteristic...

I think a pa would suit best  - alternatively I could buy a tube amp and just use the fx and turn off the amp modelling section of the pedal.

btw: took some time yesterday to aet up my own user fx in memory mode.
I guess before Ihad not setup up the pre amp section correctly.

After taking the time to set up two clean fx, a gain fx and a lead sound, I noticed a huge improvement in Quality. I guess the presets dont give the optimal sound...

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
I've heard many people use FX pedals directly to PA's.  I don't think the speakers of an acoustic amp are meant to handle the dynamics of the overdriven electric...