Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Boss GT8  (Read 7326 times)

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Boss GT8
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:50:36 PM »
Highly recommend the Boss GT8. Lucky enough to pick up one second hand at Christmas.

I had a Korg Pandora Mini that stopped working - within warranty amazingly. Korg had none in stock as a replacement - the shop got a credit - the credit got passed to me and they had a used GT8 in the shop which was now within budget as a Christmas Pressie.

Quite complex - 106 pages of manual which really only tells you what the functions are! Invested in a Lick Library double DVD instructional set and that's helping a lot. Experimenting with geting a decent bluesy tone, and at the moment trying to avoid much reverb - though I feel a bit exposed without that to hide behind. I'm looking at the GT8 as complementary to my Vox Tonelab LE rather than a replacement. Improv on a backing track in E - just the one guitar part (PRS SE).
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11332278

While I was working on that i encountered a few presets that were interesting on the more trippy, prog side of things. Started playing around with those too. This is four guitar tracks and a bass track - using delay and volume swells to get a rhythm going. Not planned or thought out and very self-indulgent. But fun.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11335473

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Boss GT8
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »
Never used the GT8, but I've heard they are better than the ME series, which I rather like.   The lead guitarist in my old band really believed in the Tonelab.  He had a couple of them, sounded really good.  Both Boss and Vox sound better than Digitech in my opinion.  I had RP350, RP500, and RP355.  Just couldn't get used the sterile tone they had...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:55:06 PM by DetroitBlues »

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »
VB, that first track is straight ahead. i like the tone in it...not overdone at all.  the dynamics in that mp3 are better than most, too.

the second one i think could be marketed to some tv program like csi.  they use music that is not nearly that good for 'fills' tracks.  i just watched one of the csi's recorded....one of the fills they had, i'm sitting there thinking 'who did this for them? i've heard way better on sound click.'...and yours is better than most.

take a look...this article made me think a bit:

http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/201201_1#pg275
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:33:53 PM by reb »

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
Never used the GT8, but I've heard they are better than the ME series, which I rather like.   The lead guitarist in my old band really believed in the Tonelab.  He had a couple of them, sounded really good.  Both Boss and Vox sound better than Digitech in my opinion.  I had RP350, RP500, and RP355.  Just couldn't get used the sterile tone they had...
I had a Digitech multi fx for a while DB - can't remember which one now but an RP something, and I can recognise the feeling you mention of the sterile tone. I love the warmth of the tones of the Tonelab LE and the clarity with which the guitar tone can get through the pedal - I'm sure the valve in it helps the warmth. I wasn't expecting the GT8 to have such a natural organic sounds as some of the ones I've managed to get so far. A Lick Library double DVD instruction set on the GT8 hosted by Michael Casswell has helped a lot though - he's got some good guidance on how to not overdo the settings and fx so that the sound is as close to possibel as to what you might expect to get from a real amp / pedals.

VB, that first track is straight ahead. i like the tone in it...not overdone at all.  the dynamics in that mp3 are better than most, too.

the second one i think could be marketed to some tv program like csi.  they use music that is not nearly that good for 'fills' tracks.  i just watched one of the csi's recorded....one of the fills they had, i'm sitting there thinking 'who did this for them? i've heard way better on sound click.'...and yours is better than most.

take a look...this article made me think a bit:

http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/201201_1#pg275
Thanks reb. I appreciate the comment - nice to know I'm heading in the right direction. The dynamics aspect of the GT8 is again soomething Michael Casswell brought up in his DVD. So important for a convincing sound.

Thanks for the link on the tv music / marketing which I will look at properly tomorrow evening - past bedtime now and work tomorrow. And I much appreciate your kind remarks on my "trippy" piece.

Oddly enough I was playing around with the GT8 again earlier today and came across some sounds that put me in mind of something film soundtracky. I was having fun ... so I had a go at a recording:-

Imagine ...... Something nasty is lurking in the dark slaughterhouse. Is that water dripping or something more sinister.  :o
Just 4 guitartracks and the GT8 and me battling like mad to try to keep enough order in the chaos. I'm not sure I want to watch this film - as I deeply fear it's not got a happy ending.  :(
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11337899

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »
Its amazing how tools like this bring out the creativity.  Just imagine what Hendrix would of done if he had all the tools we have today... He only had a handful of effects to work with back then.

VikingBlues

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »
Its amazing how tools like this bring out the creativity.  Just imagine what Hendrix would of done if he had all the tools we have today... He only had a handful of effects to work with back then.
I think we'd have been blown away by what he would have done.

eeeeeEEEEE! (this clip is NEVER going to start for me, but you might get it to go)

http://newline.com/properties/texaschainsawmassacrethebeginningrated.html
I couldn't get the link to start but your link made me go to this YouTube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5fWFPqctQU

I see why you mentioned it now with the first couple of minutes! I'll admit the horror genre isn't one I watch much of - I saw the film once a few years back so I'd missed out on remebering that particular piece. The dynamic range they got is amazing to hear.  8)

I like the way the GT8 makes me want to try different stuff. I've not really had that since a Zoom multi pedal several years ago that got me exploring quite a few new musical avenues - then it stopped working and I got a newer Zoom model and it just didn't have the same impact / effect on me. The GT8 does have a little more range in it's arsenal though!  :)