Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: My Wife Ran Her First 1/2 Marathon  (Read 5797 times)

sven

• View Profile
My Wife Ran Her First 1/2 Marathon
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »
Yay!  We're in Monterey CA.  Her time was 2:31.  She has been very dedicated. 

I need to get some exercise myself.  I keep getting injuries that are chronic, thereby getting sidelined.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My Wife Ran Her First 1/2 Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:29:11 PM »
Great to hear, congrats to her!

I am a coach - perhaps I can help, Sven. You have to start gently with running. You also need shoes that are good for YOU - go to a running store with good reputation.

You can try my beginner run/walk program here - http://run.dolphinstreet.com/3weekrunningprogram_beginner.php

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:36:39 AM »
I've been overweight for most of my life, I was a high school athelet and a soldier in the US army, but when I wasn't being active my weight has always been a problem.  I started back to the gym a couple years ago, I lost nearly 100lbs, and I've managed to keep it off.  Running is something I've been gradually doing.  I can do about four miles now (which isn't much to you guys), but when you weigh 230 lbs, that's quite a distance.  There was a time in my life where I could do a 12 mile road march in full combat gear in 2 1/2 hours.... I never realized how good of shape I was in until I try to do it now....

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:58:38 PM »
four miles is what I was up to when I got my tendon injury.  I think some of us are just more injury prone.  Good on you for doing it.

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 06:32:14 PM »
I still go jogging and although I'm very slow, I can go for about 45 minutes without stopping. Last year I was up to 70 minutes without stopping and I agree the weight can be a big problem for distance but just getting out there and do a bit really helps. May not control the weight because we all get them dang munchies late at night  ;D

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
  • Being stupid is its own reward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 06:33:23 PM »
Congrats i couldn't do it! :)