Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: New Band Day  (Read 4502 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New Band Day
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »
Last night after a month of planning, I finally met up with another guitarist and drummer. This time there was a full PA, drum kit, and bass rig ready to go. I recruted a new bass player from Craigslist and he met everyone for the first time. As far as I know there are no recordings, at least not yet. I brought along my 140, Peavey Deltablues, and a Boss DD3. With that combination I was able to pull off the lead guitar on all these songs plus some I couldn't remember. Over half of them, I've never played before. Some I never heard before. It was a great time and I was able to let loose and play the way I wanted to play.

Here's what I could remember:

Just Got Paid Today- ZZ Top
Tush- ZZ Top
Stop Breakin' Down- ZZ Top
Dust My Broom- ZZ Top
Rock Me Baby- BB King/and others
Rocky Mountain Way- Joe Walsh
BEER DRINKERS AND HELL RAISERS- ZZ top
COCAINE- Eric Clapton
CROSSROADS- Eric Clapton
EVIL WAYS- Santana
GOD GAVE ME EVERYTHING- Mick Jagger
867-5309- Smitherines
KNOCKIN ON HEAVEN'S DOOR- Dylan
THE LAST TIME- Rolling Stones
SIMPLE MAN- Lynyrd Skynyrd
MARY JANE'S LAST DANCE- Tom Petty
Black Magic Woman- Santana

There were a couple other Rolling Stones songs too. What was really cool was they let the solo sections go for as long as I wanted. Many songs were 7 to 9 minutes long, which total rocks!

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Band Day
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »
Dat's cool, congrats!

When's the first gig? :)

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:23:21 PM »
What! You mean you didn't play "Waitin' for the bus" by ZZ Top??? C'mon mmmmman! :o  Way to go DB!  Have fun.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
Not sure if these guys really want to gig.  They just want to play music every other day.  But the way all the songs went, I wouldn't be surprised if they want to gig eventually.

Don't know that ZZ Top tune Zag, but now you got me wondering.... off to Youtube!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:27:13 PM »
I think it's great that you have some folks that wanna play. Every other day ain't bad if you're up for it. The same goes for gigging too. Hell, I can't find anybody that wants to do it every other year, what with these no talent under-achievers  'round these parts (where I live). That's why I play at the "Internet Backing Tracks Club" where there's never any problems, the timing is always right on, nobody misses a cue, close to the bathroom and nobody gets too drunk they can't play. Right in the privacy of my own bedroom.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:28:53 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »
You'd think I'd have hundreds to chose from around Detroit.  Just not so... Too many people with too different opinions on what to play....

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
You'd think I'd have hundreds to chose from around Detroit.  Just not so... Too many people with too different opinions on what to play....

That'd be the least of my problems, but then again I see your point. Once in a blue moon a buddy of mine will have some studio work for me (when he's in town) but other than that, I don't have any local folks at all to jam with. I once had a so-so bass player (better than nuthin') to kick it with but he's in a gospel group now. He asked if I would join, but I declined. I'm so used to being on my own now, that that's  all I want. I don't even WANT to be in a band now, as those days are behind me now. I just wanna jam once in awhile. Y'know, a loose jam. No restrictions, let it all hang out! Long solos! Plenty refreshments! Bathroom breaks!  ;D  Yeahhhhhh buddy!

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »
These guys just want to jam.  I'm all for it as long as it doesn't run late on a Sunday night again.... My wife doesn't mind the late night jams because I spend the day with the family and I'm just gone after dinner through bedtime....