Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Affordable Strat Shopping  (Read 10929 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Affordable Strat Shopping
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:16:23 AM »
Been looking to replace my strat.... Saw a few models that are in my budgetary price range... Fender's only. No G&L or other strat-ish makers.... Here's what I have in mind, what's everyone's opinion on these models? Made in Mexico means nothing at this point....

My ideal price range (used)
Jimmy Vaughan Signature Strat
Robert Cray Signature Strat
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Signature Strat
Buddy Guy Signature Strat
Highway 1 Strat (pre-2006)
American Standard

My upper end wishful thinking (also used)
Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature Strat

I like the V-necks, but also like the thicker models. KWS models are thick with 12" radius. Cray, JV, BG, and Clapton's are soft V's....

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Affordable Strat Shopping
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »
I wish I could help DB but I've only "heard" of the models you list.... I've never played any of them. As you probably already know, I only have two Strats.... that '98 Squire Standard  MIM (I know you ain't lookin' for nuthin like that!) I have and the '82 Fender '62 Reissue Strat, Fullerton, Ca. with (check this) red bottom pickups! Only reason I have that is, my older brother left it to me. He bought it brand new four years before he passed. This thing is worth about $5200 now I think. It has a soft V, no skunk stripe neck, tweed case with all the paperwork and case candy. I rarely play it as it doesn't leave the house. I only keep the Squier Strat because it's the first guitar I bought when I decided to start playing after a 12 year hiatus. (Besides, it's totally rebuilt) :)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »
Those MIM Squiers are not to be laughed at.  Well worth the money around $200 I think...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:52:58 PM »
Those MIM Squiers are not to be laughed at.  Well worth the money around $200 I think...

That's another reason I wouldn't let it go. I've got more in it, than I paid for it. Let's see.....

'98 Squier Strat  $165-
Callaham Mexican std model bridge  assy. $165-
Cts pots (2) $4.95 ea.
Blender pot  $8.50
Lace Sensor pups (Blue/Silver/Red) $154-
Cloth Covered wire $1.00 ft.
Pearl Pickguard $35-
Grover Tuning machines $44-
Switchcraft 5 way p/u sw. $12.50
Switchcraft input jack  $1.50
Orange drop capacitor  $1.00
Bone nut   $5-
Volume kit   $3.25
Labor   N/A  (I did it all)

So you see I'm not worried about what its worth "out there". This zag Squier here, is worth  WAYYYYYYY   more than your average Squier.  8)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:21:07 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
Rule of thumb when selling a guitar... Its always worth more if the original parts on it.  Any "upgrades" are usually considered a loss.... Its a shame.  Once spent spent $400 on new parts for my Epi Les Paul (which I bought new) and it sold for $260.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »
I only did that because I don't plan on selling it. Ever. Same goes for my Epi Les Paul. Same goes for my Squier CV '50s Tele. Everything else is stock, so well who knows? ::)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:25:45 PM by zagatron1 »

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:26:08 PM »

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
I'm glad some of these uh....... people look down their noses at MIM Fender Strats.
They don't know what they're missing. Set up good, they do the job just as good as the big time stuff. You know, like the "Custom Shop" stuff, the " American Standard" stuff. Sure, they may not have the highest quality components, but if you play in a band, I guarantee nobody but your musician peers will be able to tell. Even that's not a given. The average Joe & Josephine don't know and don't care where your guitar OR amp was made. I don't know......... I just saw some ads out there today and man these things are selling for dirt cheap! I mean Strats & Teles! Lots of potential baby! If they only knew.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »

Klaus

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 01:54:19 AM »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »
That pic is just showing the new range in the vintage modified series...

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:42 AM »
you know, that's an excellent point, zagatron!   the mexi's ARE  fine players, and you can tweak them if you wish.  i don't understand why they only come with 21 fret necks, but they're still quite useable.

more to the point, if you're playing down at the corner bar, and you launch into you're rendition of
"mustang sally" or "stormy monday"  no one will care or even be able to tell if you're playing a fender custom shop through a dumble, or a squire 7/8ths scale through a peavey. and that includes at least 70% of all the musicians who might be there.  ;D

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
My only issue with the MIM strats, which to many is not a problem, is the neck profile is too thin for me.  I'd rather have a thicker neck.  The artist models I picked out have much thicker necks than standard MIM models.  It was the only issue I had with my old Lonestar/Roadhouse Hybrid strat.... Thin C profile...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
I can respect that DB. You want to get what works for YOU, and you should. Your  axe needs to be comfortable so you'll be at your best when you play. I can dig it. I can live with C-necks, but I prefer V-necks and U-necks (not the deep U though).

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »
I played a heavy relic'd tele a month ago.  Had the thickiest neck I've ever had played before.  Reminded me of a 50's profile Les Paul.