Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Santana Oye Como Va - arpeggios & chord tones lesson  (Read 8508 times)

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Santana Oye Como Va - arpeggios & chord tones lesson
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
Great lesson! Been a while since I heard that one. Some food for thought, have  you ever heard the original version? "Oye Como Va" by Tito Puente, in 1963. No guitars, just horns and flute. Of course there was the percussions. I first heard the original in '65. Santana did his version in......I believe it was '70. Lot's of times I only hear somebodys 2nd version before I hear the 1st. This time it's the other way 'round.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »
Never heard that one, no.

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 04:20:20 AM »
Thanks Robert great lesson I love the early Santana music. If you haven't had a listen check out the album "Caravanserai" probably not as well known as some of Santana's other albums but incredible.
This song "Onda" by Los Lonely Boys & Henry Garza on guitar is very Santana like, sound quality not real great in the video but Henry's playing is worth a look too.  8)        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1O5WIJJKT0

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 04:39:59 AM »
That was a great lesson, Robert.

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 04:40:39 AM »
Thanks Robert great lesson I love the early Santana music. If you haven't had a listen check out the album "Caravanserai" probably not as well known as some of Santana's other albums but incredible.
This song "Onda" by Los Lonely Boys & Henry Garza on guitar is very Santana like, sound quality not real great in the video but Henry's playing is worth a look too.  8)        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1O5WIJJKT0

They blew me away! Thanks

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »

It wouldn't play for some reason, so I listened to another one of their live performances. I like! Real bluesy.

Update; Found another live performance of that song "Onda", and yes, very Santana like. You're also very right about the sound quality, but I can still hear what's going on though. Thanks for sharing that.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:39:23 AM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »
Great lesson! Been a while since I heard that one. Some food for thought, have  you ever heard the original version? "Oye Como Va" by Tito Puente, in 1963. No guitars, just horns and flute. Of course there was the percussions. I first heard the original in '65. Santana did his version in......I believe it was '70. Lot's of times I only hear somebodys 2nd version before I hear the 1st. This time it's the other way 'round.

Really?  Never knew that either.  Of course, I heard Van Halen's Pretty Woman long before I ever heard Roy Orbison's original take of the song....

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 02:49:20 PM »
I heard Roy's version first. Man, I'm old. :o

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »
Yep, I was born during the decline of the Roy Orbison era...