Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: The Latest Gibson Signature Guitar  (Read 15499 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Latest Gibson Signature Guitar
« on: November 15, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »
Ok fellas (ladies too),
We are all guitar players, love our instruments, and take a lot of pride in them.
Now there are a lot of singers/bands out there that are more about the lyrics and looking good than playing guitar.
Gibson seems to have migrated past real guitar players to these fictional guitar players...
So the lastest Signature Gibson is...

Wait for it....

The Jonas Brothers Melody Maker!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Melody-Maker/Gibson-USA/Jonas-Brothers-Melody-Maker.aspx

Here's the sad part.  If it wasn't for the Jonas Brothers Decal and signatures, this would be a great guitar!  Its more a Les Paul Jr with dual P-90's!  Awesome... Jonas Bro's, not so Awesome...

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Latest Gibson Signature Guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:01:07 PM »
Oh my....  :'(

I feel ill now.  :o

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »
not a surprise to me, after all the crap they have recently released.
it's an excellent barometer of the corporate gibson's mindset.

hillbilly joe old

• my lyrics, the guitar and my imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:58:51 PM »
The only best part about the guitar is the "comments" on the site

Actually I bought a Les Paul jr. with a humbug at the bridge (epiphone) made in china at guitar center for 99 bucks and it was a fine guitar.

makes me wonder if the bodies were shipped in from china to increase their profits

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:24:31 PM »
Yeah, the best part IS the comments. Good reading.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »
I've put plenty of comments on their website.  Its a shame that Gibson doesn't read them.  Fans of the Jonas Brothers are typically early teenagers with more interest in guitar hero than taking the time to learn how to play guitar.   Lucky for us, only 300 of these guitars will be made.  I wish they'd produce the 50's Tribute like they were supposed to.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
This may sound odd but I'm actually a bit surprised the suggested retail is as low as it is given they are only making 300 of these.

I mean after all it is Gibson!  ::)

Maybe they realize there is going to be almost no market for these.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
I found the actual price of $699.  That is actually pretty cheap, but I might end up with a Gibson LP Studio Faded.  (Comes with the BB Pro's which are better than the regular studio pickups!)

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 06:30:15 PM »
I found the actual price of $699.  That is actually pretty cheap, but I might end up with a Gibson LP Studio Faded.  (Comes with the BB Pro's which are better than the regular studio pickups!)

How do they compare (To you) to the LP Studio Models that had the 490R/498T combination? Thats what I wound up putting in my Epi LP Studio Deluxe. I was thinking about the BBs, but when this deal came up, I nabbed it.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 09:01:49 AM »
The LP faded (cherry or brown) has the same pickups as the Les Paul standard ($2200 guitar new).  The tone is much better than the regular studios.  The new satin black is not worth it because you get the same pickups as the regular studios without the nicer finish.  I had a Epi LP Standard with Gibson BB Pro's in it at the same time I had a Gibson LP Statin Black (490R/498T).  The Epi sounded much, much better.  I gave up the Gibson long before I gave up the Epi.  I'm thinking of finding a used Gibson LP faded and having the top finished in a solid color (thinking gold top!)  One thing I do like about faded versus regular finish is the neck.  The statin finish in the neck is much faster and your hands don't stick as bad.

Bathead

• Ra's Al Xuffasch (I think)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
I think it might be a blast to own one of these. Not that I'm a fan, but could you imagine bringing one of these to an open blues jam night? Fun stuff!

weelie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 05:24:50 AM »
I think the guitar looks like it could be just great. I am not a fan, don't even know or care who the Jonas guys are. I do dig James Brown though, but I'm not really into Jim Beam.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 08:58:57 AM »
Jonas Brothers are a Disney Channel TV show turned into a band.  My kids don't watch them.  But they are popular.  Gibson has redeemed itself a little by offering the 2010 Nighthawk yesterday. 

Scratch N Sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 02:16:21 PM »
If the guitar played and sounded great, I'd have one. I haven't got a clue who the Jonas Brothers are, I listen to Planet Rock a digital radio station, so I guess I wouldn't have. I guess the way everyone reacts they're a boy band.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »
I was kind of thinking the same thing, I could buy it and no one would really know it was a Jonas Brothers guitar.... plus where the logo is is a great spot to wear off the finish just like many other Gibson, thus removing the logo.  The signatures are the same thing, plenty of use will wipe out their signatures.