Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: What to do, what to do....  (Read 4264 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What to do, what to do....
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
Last weekend, I had a great time jamming with a couple of classic rock players. Forgot how much I really like to play rock in roll. Last night, I did some studio work with the bass player and harp player from the old blues band I was in. Turns out the old band is changing to "dated" rock and dropping blues songs. Not sure what dated means, but the bassist and harp guy want to start over again with a new band that is near 100% blues. Prior to last weekend, that was music to my ears. Now, I'm stuck trying to decide what to do. The classic rock guys just want to jam every other week, no planned gigs, just have fun. The bass and harp guys want to get a set list ready and get out and play. The harp player's neighbor owns a new bar and was looking for a blues band to be his Friday night house band.

This situation reminds me of when I was dating... Went through dry spells and when I finally started dating one girl, a few others came up and I had to make choices. Typically, my stance is go with what came first. But when it comes to music, I love playing blues, but I rather enjoyed the tone and tempo of playing rock. Such a tough choice. Not sure if I can do both.... What to do, what to do...

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What to do, what to do....
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:51:28 AM »
Follow your heart, man - follow your heart...

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »
i don't understand why you can't do both?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »
I'm starting to think like you do Diaper Man, but I do not want to sacrafice my family time.... Tough choice.... Robert, trying to follow my heart is tough.  My heart says get out there and play.  My head tells me, I have responsibilities I cannot ignore...  So tough....

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »
i don't understand why you can't do both?

Oooops, I was gonna suggest the same thing Diaper Head said here, but you already stated your case. Didn't know what your situation was.

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:24:55 AM »
you prolly could still do both, but jam with the non-serious guys les often than they might wish.
surely they'll understand your need to have family time?  being in 2 bands will exponentially increase your abilities with a quickness.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
At the moment, I'm going to do both.  The blues guys are just on the edge of starting a full outright band.  The rock guys are just for fun..... Doing both this weekend, then going to only one band per week, until something changes.