Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Vox ToneLab ST  (Read 10273 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Vox ToneLab ST
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »
And now friends, it's time for another edition of "Input Time". I'm thinking about getting the ToneLab St mainly for headphone use. I only have one amp that has this feature and quite frankly, it sucks! Big time! I don't care how much  I "tweak", negative results every time. I have this Fender Frontman 25R and the reason why I use that is 'cause I can play music from an outside source then play along with it, and monitor everthing through the headphones. All of my guitars sound like trash through this thing.
I think there's a straight signal coming through the headphone circuit. Even when you go through the speaker, it's really not much better. I've grown to regard these Frontman amps as "Fake Guitar Amps". This guy I used to jam with wasted his money BIG TIME puttin' a Celestion G-10 Greenback in a Frontman 25R. It still sounded like crap! I can't fathom puttin' a $125 speaker in a $99 amp, and it still sounds like crap in the end. I got mine for payment of sevices rendered, as I would never buy one. Sorry folks, I was blowin' off steam. Back to the ToneLab, anybody have or had one. I'd like to know if it sounds good through headphones. Oh yeah one more thing, The only upside to these Frontman amps is the clean channel (through the speaker). The tone stack is unresponsive. Buy yourself a decent overdrive pedal for $99 like this.... http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lovepedal-Superlead-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-106085426-i1562916.gc   or this  http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-M77-Custom-Modified-Badass-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-107450520-i2274553.gc    you'll be glad you did!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:49:40 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Vox ToneLab ST
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »
I have not used a tone lab, but I have to say, when the lead guitarist in my old band hand one, it sounded rather good.  From what I've been told its one of the best sounding multieffects pedals out there.  Supposed to sound better than Boss or Digitech.  Unfortunatley, Line 6 always has the best tones, but that comes with a significantly higher cost unless you buy the Pocket Pod which is great for recordings, lessons, and silent pratice.  Used, you can find one of those for around $70 or less..  Just my opinion...

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:40:45 AM »
Well DB, I already have a Line 6 M9 and a TC Electronics Nova System, not to mention a bunch of other pedals, so when playin' out I'm covered. I'm mainly talkin' home use with Headphones. I've narrowed it down to this Vox ToneLab, so when I get this ToneLab, it ain't leavin' da house. It just so happens that one of the cons on the Vox was switching between effects on the fly. I'm not worried about that because I don't intend to use it playing out. Quality of sound that comes out the headphones is my main concern.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:48:29 AM by zagatron1 »

VikingBlues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
I have a Tonelab ST and it performed well through headphones and gave me a range of very usable tones for home recording.  :) Generally I found it best for the cleaner end of playing tones and generally found it had a nice warm sound (maybe due in part to the built in valve).

BUT ... if you want to be able to do a lot of shaping and modification of tones you may find it a bit frustrating. There is often only one parameter that can be adjusted with the built in fx, sometimes two.

Good as it is, it falls, to my ears, a long way short of one of its predecessors - the Tonelab LE. That unit does have a lot more scope for manipulating the tone to just what you want. It is also true to say, I feel, that the ST does colour and influence the sound more than the LE, so there's less of the distinctive tones of your various guitars being let through. The LE does have headphone facility and it sounds good but it does not have the computer interface / connectivity of the ST (assuming you can get Windows to behave  :(), and as a discontinued model needs some searching to find a good quality used unit.

I still use the ST for practicing if I'm leafing through backing tracks on my PC as the LE has no aux in. It does that job fine. I also use it if I'm doing on line lessons on headphones with the PC plugged into the aux in.

But when it comes to recording it's been the LE that's been first in line since I got it, although since Christmas the LE is sharing recording duties with a Boss GT8 (even more parameters to adjust - maybe too many!).

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »
Well DB, I already have a Line 6 M9 and a TC Electronics Nova System, not to mention a bunch of other pedals, so when playin' out I'm covered. I'm mainly talkin' home use with Headphones. I've narrowed it down to this Vox ToneLab, so when I get this ToneLab, it ain't leavin' da house. It just so happens that one of the cons on the Vox was switching between effects on the fly. I'm not worried about that because I don't intend to use it playing out. Quality of sound that comes out the headphones is my main concern.

That's exactly why I love the pocket pod.  It's meant for headphone use.  I rather love it.  Whenever I'm practicing one of Robert's lessons (shameless plug!  ;D) I use the 1/8" input jack from the laptop into the pod and the headphone jack to hear both the guitar/pod and the video.  Works rather well for me.  You can also plug the 1/4" output jack directly to a unbalanced recording jack as I have done.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »
What about the ToneLab EX model guys?

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
What about the ToneLab EX model guys?

Take your time guys, nobody rush to answer.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:37:14 AM »
Cannot speak about what I do not know... Surprising, I know, but never used Vox's multi-effects

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
Cannot speak about what I do not know... Surprising, I know, but never used Vox's multi-effects

C'mon DB, I wasn't singling you out for knowing about that device. I was hoping that someone who had maybe tried one at one time or knew somebody that maybe had one to step up and share their experience. You know I value y'all opinions, that's all. No need to get hype. It's all good. I'm gonna get one of those two. I've got plenty of time to decide, two weeks worth.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
I think it is boiling down to needing more active members.... Perhaps we should ask Robert to include a small bit in his free lessons to promote the forum.