Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Tube, Solid State, Modeling.  (Read 26919 times)

Dan

• View Profile
Re: Tube, Solid State, Modeling.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
On the original topic I find myself playing out less and less. To that end of my two amps one being a fender htrddx and the other a fender frontman 25w I end up playing the frontman 95% of the time as it's mostly bedroom levels. I've been to guitar center and am seriously considering selling both my amps and picking up a mustang III modeling amp. At low levels it sounds amazing and covers so many different models and effects that I feel I'd get much more use out of it than either of the two amps I have.

Now that I've said that, I do love the sound of the deluxe reverb reissues so much that I'm like a deer frozen in the headlights trying to decide if I should run or stay lol.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »
That looks like a good solution there DB. Affordable too! Haven't seen those. Must be new on the scene.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:11:52 AM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »
So new, not in the stores yet....

Greg.D

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »
That looks like a good solution there DB. Affordable too! Haven't seen those. Must be new on the scene.
I think that and things similar (Pod/Pad) are the future. Amplification will become "clean"; you bring your module - a Fender "board", your iPhone/iPad, etc and plug into the house PA. Oh, yeah: bring your guitar, too!

What you bring is your tone along with speaker and cabinet emulation. Fender is ahead of the game with an expression pedal (they're not the only ones: digitech, etc). I think Alesis showed an IO Dock with a pedal at NAMM - it has a different name.

I am down to one tube amp and only get it out every so often to struggle with it. They all do one thing well and, for many, that thing can only be done at high volume. Just my opinion; glad to see open minds,

Greg

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I think that and things similar (Pod/Pad) are the future. Amplification will become "clean"; you bring your module - a Fender "board", your iPhone/iPad, etc and plug into the house PA. Oh, yeah: bring your guitar, too!

What you bring is your tone along with speaker and cabinet emulation. Fender is ahead of the game with an expression pedal (they're not the only ones: digitech, etc). I think Alesis showed an IO Dock with a pedal at NAMM - it has a different name.

I am down to one tube amp and only get it out every so often to struggle with it. They all do one thing well and, for many, that thing can only be done at high volume. Just my opinion; glad to see open minds,

Greg

Since I figured out how to get modeling software working the way I like I have not bothered cranking my amp up & I am able to practise so much more at night without making a sound.

secondtry

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 12:20:49 AM »
On the original topic I find myself playing out less and less. To that end of my two amps one being a fender htrddx and the other a fender frontman 25w I end up playing the frontman 95% of the time as it's mostly bedroom levels. I've been to guitar center and am seriously considering selling both my amps and picking up a mustang III modeling amp. At low levels it sounds amazing and covers so many different models and effects that I feel I'd get much more use out of it than either of the two amps I have.

Now that I've said that, I do love the sound of the deluxe reverb reissues so much that I'm like a deer frozen in the headlights trying to decide if I should run or stay lol.

I don't play out at all, and these are the only two amps I own:

My 5 watt Fender Champ 600 (tube), and my 5 watt Vox DA5 (modeling).  I find myself using the DA5 the most.  Like most others said here, the modeling amps are great at low volume.  I also use the DA5 more because of the built in effects and because it has a headphone jack (I mostly play at night).

My Champ 600 is a great amp, but I find the DA5 more convenient to use.  When I do use my Champ and want something other than clean, I hook up my RAT II pedal or one of my Digitech Multi-effects units (my latest is an RP155 - I might make a thread about it one of these days). 8)