Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Inexpensive Pedals  (Read 13318 times)

zagatron1

• View Profile
Inexpensive Pedals
« on: January 16, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
Inexpensive pedals. Are they as good as higher priced ones? They do the same thing don't they? Hear's my only experience..... I once bought a Delta Lab DD-1 digital delay pedal. It did the job and for $49, you can't beat the price. the only reason why I got rid of it was it didn't have enough delay time (ms) for me. My guess is it's got to be less than 600 ms of delay. Other than that, it's a decent pedal for the money. I replaced it with a Boss DD-3 (wish I kept that DD-6 I had, but that's another story). I also have an MXR Carbon Copy. Has anybody tried the Rogue Digital delay? Another delay pedal for $49. Dan Electro has the D-8 Fab Delay for $24.99 that boasts 600ms of delay time, while their DJ PB & J delay is supposed to give you up to 1 second for $59.99. What makes the higher end ones so great? more features? Better components? Hand built? Who knows. Input time! Lets hear 'em!

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Inexpensive Pedals
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »
I have two cheapy pedals a Biyang Baby Boom Reverb $50 new & I reckon it is great for my needs & a Moen Uni-Comp Compressor that cost me $55 & does a good job for me too. I think for someone like me that just plays at home you don't need to waste money on boutique pedals, but if you look around you can get some really high end pedals for a great price MI Audio in Sydney make some incredible pedals & amps that stand up against any of the big names & they are not outrageous prices like some I won't name.
          http://www.miaudio.com/

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »
I have two cheapy pedals a Biyang Baby Boom Reverb $50 new & I reckon it is great for my needs & a Moen Uni-Comp Compressor that cost me $55 & does a good job for me too. I think for someone like me that just plays at home you don't need to waste money on boutique pedals, but if you look around you can get some really high end pedals for a great price MI Audio in Sydney make some incredible pedals & amps that stand up against any of the big names & they are not outrageous prices like some I won't name.
          http://www.miaudio.com/

I agree 'cause I have the MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive.

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »
Nice one mate I have a Tubezone & a GI Fuzz, great value for money, check out his Iron Duke amp.
I know a guy that only buys Wampler pedals he reckons cheap pedals are crap full stop but he plays in a band, maybe the more expensive ones are better in a live situation I would like to know if that is true. The thing is a lot of great bands do use cheapy pedals, plenty use the old Boss MT-2 Metalzone which is as cheap as chips. ::)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:19:09 PM »
The Delta Labs were originally exact clones of the original stomp boxes we all know.  The DD1 was a boss clone, the tube overdrive was a Tube Screamer, etc.  Delta Labs is produced under Musicians Friend/ Guitar Center.  I've been told, the early ones are the best to have, they were made in Japan as opposed to China now.  I rather think most of the Delta Labs stuff is rather good.  The Behinger line and Danelectro's may not be high quality for reliability, but they've been known for great tone.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 10:04:01 PM »
Just to add, here's a comparison.  Very close between the Delta Labs Tube Overdrive and Tube Screamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLVd8d60FF0&feature=related

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
Yeah, I remember that vid. That DeltaLab TO-1 sounds good. Definitely worth the dough. Just goes to show you don't have to sell a bunch of stuff to get something top-shelf.

IM4Tone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »
I have several of the Behringer inexpensive pedals (Delay/Rvb, Tremelo, Tuner). All work/sound very good, but they're relatively new so reliability remains to be seen. They are made of plastic rather than metal and I don't know how they'd stand up to frequent gigging. But as far as sounds and functionality, I think they're on par w/ the more expensive ones.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »
i have read a lot of good things about the danelectros. i have only played the distortion, and it was the plastic one. perty decent, really. i'm drifting away from pedals unless i have a specific reason to use one.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:25:17 AM »
I only have a couple pedals that I used on occasion.  Such as delay or wah....

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »
I don't know if anybody ever heard JHS Pedals but they have this pedal called 
Double Barrel Dual Overdrive, that costs $299, and it's not "all that" to me. There's too many others out there including Lovepedals' Amp 11 which I have, that sound just as good if not better, and for half the price. JHS also has delay called Panther Delay that'll run ya about $499. It does have more stuff than your average delay like an FX loop in and out for example, but still it's way too rich for my blood. Oh yeah, there's one other thing I overlooked...... these top shelf units are "handwired" so that does tend to drive up costs, but in the end, I for one can't tell the difference. If someone made an overdrive pedal for example and they also had a handwired version out as well for considerably more dough, if I was blind folded and listened to both, I couldn't tell the difference. I'm not scared of PCB! Gimme the Printed Circuit Board version...... my bedroom furniture won't be able to tell the difference either.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:00:54 PM by zagatron1 »

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 04:15:46 AM »
I don't know if anybody ever heard JHS Pedals but they have this pedal called 
Double Barrel Dual Overdrive, that costs $299, and it's not "all that" to me. There's too many others out there including Lovepedals' Amp 11 which I have, that sound just as good if not better, and for half the price. JHS also has delay called Panther Delay that'll run ya about $499. It does have more stuff than your average delay like an FX loop in and out for example, but still it's way too rich for my blood. Oh yeah, there's one other thing I overlooked...... these top shelf units are "handwired" so that does tend to drive up costs, but in the end, I for one can't tell the difference. If someone made an overdrive pedal for example and they also had a handwired version out as well for considerably more dough, if I was blind folded and listened to both, I couldn't tell the difference. I'm not scared of PCB! Gimme the Printed Circuit Board version...... my bedroom furniture won't be able to tell the difference either.

I could buy a good little amp for that money :o

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 10:47:22 AM »
if one were lucky and persistent, one could buy a good big amp for that money!  this 'booteek' stuff is...something. it looks fancy, it 'reviews' fancy, but it don't make me a better musician.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
I'm with you guys! Somebody's buyin' this stuff and I say more power to 'em. Things weren't always like this, but it looks like class warfare has come to the musician world. Somebody feels like they have to be man up on things, so they can look down on others. Case in point...... I have a direct quote from an ad selling a Fender MIM, HSS Stratocaster;

"I bought this Strat 2 years ago new for about $500. I don't have time to play, so I'm selling it. It is a Mexican made Strat--not a junky Squire. This is a great guitar for someone that wants a good instrument, but doesn't have the funds for an American Standard".

Now did this cat HAVE to say "junky" Squier? This dork can't even spell Squier. Wonder what the American Strat guys are sayin' about his (or her) guitar? Anyway, this dude is asking $350, while an ad before this one is selling the same guitar for $275 and judging by the pics, I'd say it looks better (condition-wise) by a wide margin. They're both black w/ white pickguards. When I sell some gear, thats all I do...... I promote what I'm selling. I don't down other brands. Sure, I don't think much of Squier Bullet of Affinity guitars or Frontman amps, but I keep it to myself. Some folks buy stuff out of necessity. I guess the upper crust don't realize and/or don't care.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:04:04 PM by zagatron1 »

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 12:36:15 AM »
I'm with you guys! Somebody's buyin' this stuff and I say more power to 'em. Things weren't always like this, but it looks like class warfare has come to the musician world. Somebody feels like they have to be man up on things, so they can look down on others. Case in point...... I have a direct quote from an ad selling a Fender MIM, HSS Stratocaster;

"I bought this Strat 2 years ago new for about $500. I don't have time to play, so I'm selling it. It is a Mexican made Strat--not a junky Squire. This is a great guitar for someone that wants a good instrument, but doesn't have the funds for an American Standard".

Now did this cat HAVE to say "junky" Squier? This dork can't even spell Squier. Wonder what the American Strat guys are sayin' about his (or her) guitar? Anyway, this dude is asking $350, while an ad before this one is selling the same guitar for $275 and judging by the pics, I'd say it looks better (condition-wise) by a wide margin. They're both black w/ white pickguards. When I sell some gear, thats all I do...... I promote what I'm selling. I don't down other brands. Sure, I don't think much of Squier Bullet of Affinity guitars or Frontman amps, but I keep it to myself. Some folks buy stuff out of necessity. I guess the upper crust don't realize and/or don't care.

I won't mention names  but there is a guy on one of the bigger guitar forums, that if you mention a cheapy pedal being pretty good he fires a tirade back at you of what a waste of money they are, I think he is like the  guru of the forum, must be a money bags ha-ha :P