Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Fractal Axe FX11  (Read 13183 times)

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Fractal Axe FX11
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
I know these are crazy expensive but once the prices come down & they will, I think I will seriously look into scrounging the dollars,
check out this video, when the guy demo's the patch "warped  vinyl" it  is amazing sounds like you have an old scratched up LP playing'
I have said this before but I think this is the way of the future if you can afford it ::)
http://www.musicradar.com/video/fractal-audio-axefx-ii-demo-9AqguD2cDCahH

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Fractal Axe FX11
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:01:12 PM »
I was a little leary of that thing at first, but then I checked out the vid. It's pretty cool. But like you said MLJ, it's crazy expensive and that's a bit tooooooooooo much for this bedroom pro. Even if I could get one, it'd be impractical for me to spend that much for something I would use every once in awhile. Man I'd have to use that thing ALL the time (gotta get that money's worth!). I'd need someone to bring me my meals whilst I play. I'd be like a guitar playing marathon. Sore fingers 'n everything.

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:31:21 PM »
I was a little leary of that thing at first, but then I checked out the vid. It's pretty cool. But like you said MLJ, it's crazy expensive and that's a bit tooooooooooo much for this bedroom pro. Even if I could get one, it'd be impractical for me to spend that much for something I would use every once in awhile. Man I'd have to use that thing ALL the time (gotta get that money's worth!). I'd need someone to bring me my meals whilst I play. I'd be like a guitar playing marathon. Sore fingers 'n everything.

I know what you are saying I am just a bedroom warrior & could not come at that sort of money, but they are made in the USA at the moment, surely they will send them offshore to China  or wherever the cheap labour is like Line6 does & bring with it more realistic prices & with cheaper prices they will sell more, so it would be a win win situation. I can't help it I am a gadget freak. ( A poor gadget freak) ;D

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:15:23 AM »
I watched the demo of this setup.  It was really cool, but unless you're a professional recording artist or work with them, its not worth the money....

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »
it was cool. the vinyl thing had me scratchin my head though.  i remember when we didn't like the popping and hissing.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »
Premier Guitar is kinda gushing over these guys...they say they use the Fractal. so do a couple more 'fusion' groups. i would call this 'con-fusion' frankly. my vox da10 could sound that muddy live piped through a pa...or maybe sound better for all i know. haven't gotten to try that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Hvv4kTr7k&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL440F4657CC797DA4

i KNOW  i am a fuddy-duddy. i listened to a couple more fractal vids...live, if 'animals as leaders' is any indication, i can make noise with a trashcan lid (and that HAS BEEN DONE very artfully by 'stomp' i think they were called). same same 'some modern art'. in the studio, maybe. cut down on clutter.

i don't get it. if one bought 10 decent amps, they would have as much or more as in a fractal fx. i bet the first version will come up used cheaper....but i don't need one for what i like to do.

i'm going back to my fuddy duddy land now....:) maybe i'll start playing bass or something.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:34:37 AM »
Fuddy duddy land? Wait for me!

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:23:20 AM »
what? is your visa up to date, zag? :) we profile, you know....those without finger callouses are turned away.

i wish i had the background and the drive to use a fractal to its limits. i don't. realistically, i'm not going to spend the money to get one. would just gather dust. this morning, my skateboard injury is making my left hand numb-i took an extra vitamin b capsule to try to get it under control; i got up at sunup and killed a skunk that was near my chicken pen. when i get back from town, i need to feed cows...and i have to unload my truck with junk from storage (not moved YET completely)...so, how am i going to put a fractal through its paces? no way...if i toss the footswitch in there, i'm looking at 4 grand...i could buy a backhoe attachment for that, and might live to wear it out, too.

fuddy duddy land. a place where old guitarists go to reminisce, play simple music and argue over women, booze and classic gear. :) wait..i don't think at my age there is any argument over women....:( oh, wow! how times change...

yesterday, i went to soundclick and signed in. had not been there in quite a while...and i found that ol' sally had got put on a net radio station. we'll see how it does. a fractal is just not going to help me-this is a hobby for me and relaxation-i really enjoy the guitar, and wish i had had the drive to make it my career. cloning might help me at this point-a friend says between the two of us, we might make one hand (cow hand, that is)...

some of you younger guys, by golly, if a fractal would be your muse, and you have time to use it...go for it. life is short.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »
I wish I WAS one of them "younger guys", I'll be in the sixty club in April, so I think I meet the criteria for fuddy duddy land. I reminisce all the time..... play simple music too. Retired from booze, so I am in the Drinkin' Hall of Fame. Did play professionally once opon a time. The finger callouses went away when I stopped playing, but they've been back ever since I picked th'  guitar back up again. Anyway, like I said earlier in this thread, I'd have to play that Fractal ALL the time 'cause I'd want to get my money's worth out of it. For that kind of dough ain't no way a speck-o-dust gonna git on it. ;D

diaper head

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »
well, fuddy-duddy or not, i hope you won't judge animals as leaders by that video.  tosin abasi is an amazing technical player. look at his "wave of babies" video at emg's studio.

http://youtu.be/bt-RoSzsEKA

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »
I wasn't judgin', I'd like to have something like that but it would take me a lifetime to figure that out that's why I quit using that Chapman Stick thingy in wasted money on years ago. I have enough on my hands with six strings and this dude is making use of ALL eight of the strings on that axe he's playin'! No doubt he composed that composition. Sounds excellent. As far as Animals as Leaders go, well that particular vid was kinda hard to judge 'cause of the sound system/PA.

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
nah, dh. what i have observed 'live' however, is that the venue wastes 'booteek' gear. if a hall or bar or theater has lousy acoustics, or if the band is simply playing too loud for the space, they may as well have cheap gear many times.

i quit going to a lot of live stuff due to the volume. bars in particular are bad.

the vid finally started. not my kind of jazz, but he is a deft technician. if he wants to be appreciated, he ought to do more studio stuff, i think. live, they suck from the 3 or 4 vids i listened to. then, i'm not much into metal, either. i don't appreciate the 'cover' of harmonics the metal guys want to claim is 'subtle' in their work. i think chet atkins had subtle harmonics haha. a neighbor i used to live near liked to play bartok. his music makes me think of demons. so does this. i accused her of playing scott joplin, and it pissed her off :) i may accuse her of playing randy newman if i see her again.

the fractal would be a lot of fun if i had the money, time, talent and drive to mess with it. he's getting some great sounds out of it, but i bet it has a lot more than i've heard so far, also. one band i read about said they were using powered pa speakers.

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
That Tosin Abasi vid was awesome diaper head, I love blues as much as the next man but Fusion style of playing is magic.
Yeh I agree reb the fractal is beyond my bank balance too, but if the prices ever come down to a reasonable level I would love one, I love playing through my tube amp but as I have said before it is difficult for me to really play at loud volumes & I think the Fractal could be the answer to that problem, being able to come very close to sounding like a valve amp using headphones would be great, I have tried with computer based software & I do not like the sound at all. I still think Robert gets  really incredible tones out of his HD500 though, trouble is I don't have the spare $5-$600 for that either. I am at home at the moment no work as the heavens have opened up 120mm rain overnight & it is still pouring down, the road is cut down the mountain, so no money no new toys. :'(

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »
Premier Guitar is kinda gushing over these guys...they say they use the Fractal. so do a couple more 'fusion' groups. i would call this 'con-fusion' frankly. my vox da10 could sound that muddy live piped through a pa...or maybe sound better for all i know. haven't gotten to try that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Hvv4kTr7k&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL440F4657CC797DA4

i KNOW  i am a fuddy-duddy. i listened to a couple more fractal vids...live, if 'animals as leaders' is any indication, i can make noise with a trashcan lid (and that HAS BEEN DONE very artfully by 'stomp' i think they were called). same same 'some modern art'. in the studio, maybe. cut down on clutter.

i don't get it. if one bought 10 decent amps, they would have as much or more as in a fractal fx. i bet the first version will come up used cheaper....but i don't need one for what i like to do.

i'm going back to my fuddy duddy land now....:) maybe i'll start playing bass or something.

Premier Guitar probably gets theirs for free. 

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »
i have noticed with premier guitar, DB, that they want to push the envelope with music sometimes. some of their lessons-or editor columns-that have tab in them, i got curious...since i don't read notation, a couple months ago, i watched one of their vids of the 'lessons'. whatever the guy was trying to transmit to me, i don't think it sounded all that great.

i'm stuck in fuddy duddy land :)

MLJ, ever get down your road? we had 3.5 inches (about same 120mm) a few days ago, and i like to got stuck in my car.