Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Tele thinline body  (Read 4328 times)

ajplayblues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
Tele thinline body
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »
  Can anyone tell me if the modern player Tele deluxe thinline mahogany body is made from a carved solid plank or are the sides glued from seperate pieces ?

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Tele thinline body
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:38:25 PM »
Here's one  interesting video on how it's done, so maybe they do start with a solid plank. Who knows?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRzR4DlAfeY

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
You should expect the modern player series to be multi-piece bodies.  Slab mahogany is expensive.  However, tonal characteristically speaking, it doesn't matter.  It should sound great.  Only issue I have with the modern player series is they are Squiers without the label, but with a higher cost.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »
Considering the fact that there are different grades and/or species of Mahogany, it may not be that expensive. I guess it depends on where it comes from. You know.... like the Honduras, the Philipines, West Africa and other places. Back in the day, the body was routed from the back on each side of pickup assembly creating hollow sections. A thin back panel was then glued on the back. At least that's how the original '68 Thinlines were made.

ajplayblues

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:22:41 PM »
Zagatron 1, thanks for the link and you are correct, there are different types and grades of mahogany as in other woods.