Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Trust in Demo's  (Read 12176 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Trust in Demo's
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »
Does anyone trust the demo's to buy a pedal or must it be heard first person?  I've often listened to a lot of people demonstrating pedals online, but their technique, gear, and recording methods can alter anyone's opinion.  Would you buy a pedal based soley on those demo's or would you have to try it first?  I usually find a demo on line then try it myself.  Plus, I also look for a used one prior to buying a new one.

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Trust in Demo's
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »
I confess..... I do, er.. did. I decided to get the MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive I have from an online demo. Actually, there were several demos I checked out. The demos contained older and newer versions of the pedal. I all worked out... I'm satisfied, and it's a keeper. Oh, that's right... my Line 6 M9 too! ::)

JoeP90

• View Profile
Re: Trust in Demos
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:26:23 PM »
There's so much online from demos to written reviews, but how the pedal behaves with your playing style and your guitar, single coils or humbuckers etc could be important like with a fuzz box so I'd try and test one out before buying. Not always possible if you're after an old obscure pedal but you can always put it back on ebay. (I also think that online demos and reviews are half the problem with wanting new gear - once you've seen on youtube some wild orange fuzz box with a stupid name and five knobs you know you've gotta get one cos it'll look just right on the board between the purple and green ones!)

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
Its far from perfect on line.  But sometimes thats the only option.  I bought my OCD based on reveiws.  I didn't think the demos were that great at the time, but it sounds fantastic.   My BD 2 I love, but demos make em sound harsh.  So it ain't perfect, but I don't have a lot of options in podunk town USA.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:24:13 AM »
I think the best reviews I've found for pedals was on oldtonezone.com.  There is a pedal comparinator which a couple dozen OD pedals were sampled and you can mix and match every one.  I've been looking at Jet City's new pedal lineup and for now, all I can find is a few demo's on youtube but none in the stores.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »
I listen/watch as many demos as I can but I'd rather try it out in person if possible to see what it's like before buying. Sometimes you don't get the opportunity.  :(

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:25:51 AM »
That's my problem with the Jet City pedals.  I can only find demo's on two of the four pedals and the one pedal I'd really like to hear does not have a demo.  Because they are a smaller company, I cannot find one in a store to try.  They are too busy pushing Digitech and Boss to have those on display...

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 09:33:36 AM »
Well I hope my demos are not fooling anyone. I try to make an honest and true demo every time.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:42:13 AM »
Its guys like you that I trust.  You are very objective to playing and provide an honest opinion.  You post the stuff you actually use and the stuff you had but explained why you don't use it.  Its the other guys like the Tone King who are compensated for demonstrating gear.  I cannot trust those guys because they have all the behind the scenes stuff going on where you have no idea if the pedal is worth it.  Plus a 2 minute video isn't enough.  Actually having someone play it for a year, beat it up on the road, and then tell me if it still works for them.

Dan

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »
PhilX has definitely convinced me to get a Bad Monkey, so yeah I guess I do trust "some" demos.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:03 AM »
Three different recommedations lead me to the Bad Monkey.  Oldtonezone.com comparinator, Gibson.com's top pedals for under $50, and of course Robert's demo.  I bought the pedal used for $25, its the best OD pedal I've used for the tone I want.  Just something to thicken up the single coils and add just a little dirt when needed.