Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: NPD- Joyo Ultimate Drive  (Read 4297 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
NPD- Joyo Ultimate Drive
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
I purchased a Joyo Ultimate drive which is supposed to be a clone of the Fulltone OCD and the basis of the Freekish Blues Alpha Drive.

To start, pedal construction: The pedal housing is solid metal, control pots are smooth, switch is solid, and I don't think I could break this pedal if I wanted to.

First up was my new Classic Player Strat. I had the toggle on the Ultimate Drive switch set to low, which keeps the pedal in an overdrive like mode. Tone at about 1 o'clock, gain set to about 2 o'clock, and the level to about 1 o'clock. Plugged into the Peavey Deltablues on the clean channel. I had some real nice SRV Texas Flood and Jimi Hendrix Red House tone going for me. The pedal gives me a lot of bite and bluesy/rock tone. Much better than a tube screamer. I turned the gain up, but it gets a little too much on the strat.

Second up, I pulled out the H140, kept the gain and level about the same, changed the tone back a little. Kept the toggle switch in the OD mode and I had that amp sounding a lot like Gary Moore playing Walking By Myself. The pedal sounded great no matter what I did. Turn the gain up and you're into a much harder rock tone without getting muddy.

I'd recommend this pedal to everyone if they are so inclined.

Two highlights, I didn't mention... The pedal is true hardwire bypass. Second highlight... it was $38 brand new...

Can't wait to try out a couple more of them.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NPD- Joyo Ultimate Drive
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
Great price!

There are so many good pedals out there, it's crazy. The whole Danelectro Cool Cat series of pedals are killer too, and cheap.

Scratch N Sniff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 04:38:22 AM »
I've heard good things about Joyo pedals. I have a Biyang X-drive OD-8 which is a tube screamer clone, it has replaced my tube screamer on my board, it's that good. Got it for 42. 

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »
Posted my gig from Friday night.  All the OD tone is purely the Joyo.