Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Stratocaster Shopping... Again  (Read 4877 times)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stratocaster Shopping... Again
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »
I was perfectly happy with my newly acquired Fender Classic Player's 60's Strat until my guitar tech let me borrow his parts-o-caster. While the guitar is super ugly (bright yellow with an orange peel finish), tremolo is being held in place by a maple block (no springs or claw), six point trem with only two screws, and half the PG screws are missing, it caught me by surprise. The guitar has EMG vintage toned active pickups and an unfinished (Mighty Might?) neck, but its the shape of the neck that surprised me...

While the guitar is self as a whole is a piece of junk, the neck profile is awesome! Its wider and thicker at the nut through the first seven or so frets. Doesn't have a V-neck profile, but nice thick C shape.... I realized as nice as the Classic Player neck was, its still based upon Mexican Strat designs... Narrower at the nut and not nearly as thick as I'd like. While I do not want this parts o caster guitar, I'd rather have a thicker neck like it.

American Stratocasters, including the Special and Highway 1 are a single Milimeter wider... Amazing how a single MM can feel so different. I checked with Anthony Stauffer at Steviesnacks.com, who recently gave away a Fender Kenny Wayne Shepherd signature strat after acquiring a Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature Strat. I asked him about the neck profiles. He said the KWS was actually slightly thicker than SRV's, but SRV's wasn't symmetrical either. He said the KWS guitars are excellent guitars, one of the best models below the custom shop line. I've found a few used ones for less than $600, so I may be switching if the sale of the CP strat goes through...

Key features of the KWS Strat that I find appealing...

12" Radius
 Thick '61 neck profile
 Graph-tech Saddles
 Vintage Tuners
 Special voiced KWS pickups with reverse wound middle.

Still have my eye on a couple USA Standards for the same price, but we'll see what happens.

zagatron1

• View Profile
Re: Stratocaster Shopping... Again
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
Interesting you brought that up DB. The neck was the deal breaker for me in my decision to get this MIA Strat I wound up with. Believe it or not I really can feel the difference between this 1.685" (at the nut) I have, versus the 1.650" (Classic Player '50s) I started to get. Both of these have 9.5" have a radius of course.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:48:20 PM »
Classic Player actually has a 12" radius which may explain why it feels thinner too.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
Classic Player actually has a 12" radius which may explain why it feels thinner too.

You're right, the Classic Player 60s has the 12" jobbie, BUT the Classic Player 50s has the 9.5" along with a "soft V" profile. Still felt kinda like a "C" though. IMHO.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:28:02 PM »
Interesting. I tried a 60s Anniversary Mexican Strat that I really liked the neck on. The guy was asking $450 for it - don't it's worth that much...it had an expensive strap and a case with it too, and he wants to sell it all together.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
The design of the guitar is my favorite, colors, hardware, pickups, all are awesome... If I could just make the neck a little bit thicker and wider....

But I bought it because it was a steal, it was priced as if it was a used plain Mexican Standard Strat...