Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: SX Callisto JR  (Read 14972 times)

creekster52

• View Profile
Re: SX Callisto JR
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »
The first one I received had a cosmetic flaw. Kurt @ Rondo Music issued call tags and had UPS pick it up. I just received the replacement a week ago, and it was almost perfect!

I took it to my guitar shop to change strings to 10-46 Elixirs and new setup. The guitar ships with 9 gauge strings. I would normally do this myself, but I just don't have much free time these days.

The setup out-of the-box was not bad at all, and the original strings weren't bad either. I just prefer 10-46.

This guitar is very sleek. Slightly reminiscent of a 1989 Jackson Soloist I owned a few years back, but the neck is slightly thinner. Very nice feel and the fretwork was very good, with no sharp ends. In fact the frets looked polished. The neck-thru is great...very comfortable. The position markers appear to be real M.O.P., and not the usual mother of toilet seat!

The body is slightly smaller than a strat body and carved. It is very thin at the edges, but not delicate. It is very comfortable to play seated due to the carved taper at the edges, and the guitar is light enough to play with a strap for hours (only 7 lbs).

The licensed Floyd is much better quality than many of the other licensed Floyds I have seen, particularly in this price range. I'm not a big whammy user, but I do love the fine tuners!

Fit and finish was very good. I was only able to find one minor finish flaw, and it is barely noticable and it is on the backside. The color is a few shades lighter than the stock photos.

The stock pickups are pretty darned good, although I haven't had time to really run it through it's paces yet.

More to come... 8)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:37:52 PM by creekster52 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »
Just to put it out there....

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:15:33 AM by DetroitBlues »

skybear

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 11:05:53 AM »
I almost bought the Callisto Jr but decided on the Liquid with 3 P90's. Out of the box the guitar was great. I put EB Colbalt strings on later. The guitar play perfect.
I have since bought a classical guitar and I'm getting ready to get a Douglas guitar.
I have told Kurt that any new guitars I get in the future will come from Rondo.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 12:07:32 PM »
Congrats on the guitar!

Sweet picture, DP! :D

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 03:39:37 PM »
How would you compare those Colbalt's to regular strings Skybear?  Better tone?