Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: What is going to happen to Guitar Center  (Read 9891 times)

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
What is going to happen to Guitar Center
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:31:47 PM »
Looks like they over expanded in a bummed out economy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/08/idUSWNA678920120508

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What is going to happen to Guitar Center
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:01:44 PM »
No wonder their policies on buying used gear has been going down the toilet!

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
In short, they need to get their "aye" to the double "s" in gear!

hillbilly-joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:11:11 AM »
But wait!

Slash to the rescue! :)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/slash-and-guitar-center-launch-nationwide-search-for-opening-acts-to-join-legendary-guitarist-on-upcoming-fall-tour-2012-05-01

Slash is widely considered one of the greatest rock guitar players of all time. He has received countless accolades and awards including his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April 2012. In 2007, Slash was inducted into Hollywood's RockWalk (located in front of Guitar Center in Hollywood) alongside his idols Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:01:38 AM »
So I see Slash, along with GC is gonna hand pick twenty bands to open for his upcoming APOCALYPTIC LOVE tour, and the top performing act will receive a grand prize package valued at over $30,000. And then I guess the top band will take home $10,000 in guitars from Gibson and Epiphone, a $5,000 shopping spree at Guitar Center.  If they're Gibson Custom shop guitars, maybe they'll take home two of those and a Epiphone starter pack. The shopping spree might yield 'em one head by ENGL like this  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/engl-special-edition-e-670-100w-guitar-amp-head-6l6/481489000000000 and some nick-nacks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:03:13 AM by zagatron1 »

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:51:17 AM »
I often hear you guys & others talk about Guitar Centre it must be an incredible place for musicians to go & try out gear.
I don't think there is anything like it in Oz not that I have seen anyway.
I am lucky to find a shop with a lefty on the shelf & this is a city of over 600,000 & it will probably be a bottom of the range Ibanez, Squire or if I am lucky an LTD. Forget about seeing a Suhr,Music Man etc, fat chance of ever trying something like that. :'(
If you want to try an amp/guitar it will be in the middle of the shop, not in a sound booth.
You guys/girls in the States should thank your lucky stars to have such a great place to try out gear.  I hope they don't go belly up like a lot of companies round the world in these tough times. :o

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:29:27 AM »
But wait!

Slash to the rescue! :)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/slash-and-guitar-center-launch-nationwide-search-for-opening-acts-to-join-legendary-guitarist-on-upcoming-fall-tour-2012-05-01

Slash is widely considered one of the greatest rock guitar players of all time. He has received countless accolades and awards including his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April 2012. In 2007, Slash was inducted into Hollywood's RockWalk (located in front of Guitar Center in Hollywood) alongside his idols Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix.

And he is also considered one of the top 10 over-hyped guitarists of our time too.

http://guitarsquid.com/posts/top-10-guitarists-who-should-probably-just-tour-in-hologram-form/9139/

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
Well MLJ, I don't know 'bout the Guitar Centers near everybody else, but if the two nearest me are any indication of how most of these "self-serve" places are, I'll continue to do my research and buy online. And DB, I couldn't agree more! Thanks for sharing that article. The responses to that article were interesting as well.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:32:34 AM »
I thought it was an interesting article.  In many ways I think its true.  Those old axe slingers were great back in the day.  But they don't have to be great anymore.  They have the fortune and fame they sought after.  Now they just play for fun as if its a hobby.  Hobby guitarists are not at the same level as professionals because lack of routine and amount of time spent playing diminishes skill, which may attribute to the decline of those guys.  I'm sure I'd be 10x better if my job was to play guitar and I sat down and played day after day for six to eight hours a day with a band....

hagarfreak33

• Fat Fingers
  • Being stupid is its own reward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »
GC is the closest storeto myhouse- daddys went out of buisness and Sam Ash is a little further away but worth the ride-better selection
but i love GC

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »
I don't by much from GC, but the local one near my office is cool.  Every employee knows who I am and I actually know most of their names.  They love to show me cool stuff even though they know I'm not buying anything....

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 03:32:16 PM »
i am ambivalent about gc.  the closest one to me is also nearest to fort hood....and you can imagine what that means...young people ruining their hearing, and anyone within 100 feet as well.

i am over equipped for my skill level anyway...and i'm getting where crowds make me hinky...

Slash! the saviour of guitar center! kinda off my radar...when guns n roses first came out, i liked their hard rock. now, i'm lucky i can find rock on a radio station.

i'd rather hear you guys play.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »
If Slash can ressurect the Les Paul and Gibson, why not Guitar Center, huh?

reb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
he has the long hair....he has the top hat supposedly because it's a 'lincoln thing'. so he's going to do a resurrection like 'lazarus'....i mean, the martyr symbolism is heavy here....

maybe they will make him a cross out of two les paul necks? or at least hang him from two guitar hangers in a showroom using nanoweb bass strings? the gc employees could gamble for his clothing...wait...he already auctioned some of that...hmm...

000pps....blasphemy...forget i said anything. :)